Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: New Safe

Default New Safe

Hi I am new to antique locks and recently acquired an older safe, possibly a Victor. The safe is currently open and I have the combination for it. It unlocks just fine. However it does not lock back up. Anyone have any idea why? It won't let me post an image because the file size is too big. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello dboisen and welcome, you really need to try and reduce a few pictures in size and post them up as members don't even know what you have without them.

If you can post a few showing the front of the safe with door closed (as far as it will go), also with the door open showing the jamb or surrounding body where the door closes into, it should give some good pointers. if from those pictures there's nothing obvious visible then it might indicate a boltwork or mechanism problem which will then need additional pictures to assess. Good luck and see what you can post up.

I will try to get some pictures of the door soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170421_191919.jpg  

Looks like an early Victor. I'm in need of one of those locks! Should have a patent number on the front of the dial maybe like this.

16lz2o4 1

Yes. Mine also says Oct, 2 88. Does anything look out of the ordinary on the fence or drive wheels?

It all looks ok to me. A good cleaning is probably in order. If you take the rear cover with the two screws off you will find that it does not have a traditional spline key. Instead, it has a key (flat strip of metal) that fits in a slot across the drive wheel and the spindle. Remove it very carefully so you don't damage the end of the spindle. If some one hammered it in the spindle can be spread and the drive wheel will thread off hard.

Here is one of my Victors.

2mh5xcl 1

Thank you for the picture. It gives me something to go off of. On mine, the fence does not catch on the notch on the wheel to lock back up. So I just need to figure out which one it is.

Default Can not extend the bolt work and lock the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by dboisen View Post
    Hi I am new to antique locks and recently acquired an older safe, possibly a Victor. The safe is currently open and I have the combination for it. It unlocks just fine. However it does not lock back up. Anyone have any idea why? It won't let me post an image because the file size is too big. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!
    The malfunction your experiencing is from a worn fence. The top part is worn allowing the nose to ride out of the wheels gates before it clears the stop.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by David Hovey View Post
    The malfunction your experiencing is from a worn fence. The top part is worn allowing the nose to ride out of the wheels gates before it clears the stop.

DH
    I added a little bit of solder to the top of the fence and filled it down. It locks every time. Thank you for your help!

I also need a lock assembly for the large, thin middle door. Is it a general lock used on many safes or is it specific to a Victor?

Thread Information