Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chubb 6K204

Default Chubb 6K204

In case some of you haven't seen this rarity, fitted to a major uk banks heavy vault doors in response to them learning that the existing locks fitted being pickable.
    I believe The great Tommy Watson had a hand in its design although he had not seen one in real life until I got him one.
    Clever well thought out lock, even has a lever belly wiper on the barrel and curtain to stop scrape mark reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170417_029.jpg   WP_20170417_030.jpg  

more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170417_032.jpg   WP_20170417_035.jpg  

more
    pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170417_031.jpg   WP_20170417_033.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    In case some of you haven't seen this rarity, fitted to a major uk banks heavy vault doors in response to them learning that the existing locks fitted being pickable.
    I believe The great Tommy Watson had a hand I its design although he had not seen one in real life until I got him one.
    Clever well thought out lock, even has a lever belly wiper on the barrel and curtain to stop scrape mark reading.
    It confuses me why they didnt make the false notches the same width as the actual gating.

Wow Gary thats a rare one, just goes to show you can't go wrong with the 'if in doubt convert it to pipe keys and make a new curtain' principle ! I'm amazed Chubb done it on those though, and noticed its a proper brass curtain instead of those daft duralumin ones. Very nice lock though and looks to be in pristine condition.

Tom, theres a mating groove cut down the stump in order for them to bite.

Gary I'm slow today it's only just sunk in that you called it the 6K204,which got me thinking Chubb gave it a complete new number instead of it just being a special, although thinking about it they couldn't use the 6K174case because they opted for the drill pin from the case and not in the curtain, for strength I suppose.

A wonderful lock!

It will have been to replace the 6k18 keylock and from memory was fitted to 8 and 10" v@ult doors, with the notching on the stump and levers, you could probably get a little bit of free play even in a notch if it wasn't fully bound, so it would have felt like a gate. Don't know if Tommy ever comes on here, but he would know more about it.

Default 6k204

Are you saying this lock is un-pickable?

DH

This was designed by Tom specifically to counter the Falle Pin & Cam pick that could defeat the standard isolator keylock.

This would be a challenge for sure - I would not say it's unpickable but how it could be done would need careful thought (a lot ! of thought) !

Thread Information