Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pillard combo lock

Hello to All, Looking for some advice on a Pillard combo lock please

Hi Everyone,

First let me say it is a pleasure to be able converse with you all, and have access to such a wealth of knowledge.
    It's a wonderful resource, and I greatly appreciate everyone's time and any assistance you may be so kind as to offer.

I'm in Canada, and have recently come into possession of two antique safes via my deceased father. One is in a shed, in quite rough shape, and I have to learn a lot more about before I can ascertain if it's salvageable or not.

The other is relatively clean, (although bears many coats of repaint, etc), but I cannot find a single marking on the outside (including back and bottom) to indicate the manufacturer of the safe itself.
    The Lock however, upon a gentle cleaning, reveals some fine lettering in the brass. It curves around the flat of the dial knob, as follows:
    PILLARD S., May 9 1871, No 19

I've done some (very) rudimentary research over recent weeks, and managed to track that Oliver Pillard was a maker of locks and combination locks for a number of safe manufacturers around this time. I've even managed to track down some of his patents: (Pgs 169-173, specifically)
    (Please refer to rules regarding the posting of links:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ique-Locks-com)

I gather that this is a type 19 lock, and from the patent drawings, I get the gist of how the mechanism works.

HOWEVER:

I do have the correct combination (from my father, before he passed), but I'm having trouble getting it open. I have tried it now and again over the last few weeks, when i have a few moments, but I can't seem to get it open - again.

Yes, Again. LOL

I was initially experimenting weeks ago with the combination numbers he gave me, as I was unsure of the Exact process (x turns L, y turns R, z turns L - and then, turn slowly R - or spin? - but Should the lever drop? Must I jiggle and turn, - or not? How many full rotations to each number?, etc) - when I got it to open. Once.

Unfortunately, I was running thru variations at the time, HAD to leave for an appointment, and closed it up again. Overconfidence that I would NOW be able to open it again without much trouble has shot me in the proverbial foot, I'm afraid. :)

I've since tried to RE-open it a few hundred times - to no avail. And can't seem to remember or recreate the variation sequence that works.

If there is anyone out there who's familiar with this type of lock, and the exact order / process to open it , I would greatly appreciate any help. We're getting down to some time-sensitive things that need to be retrieved for his estate and business, and I don't want to have to damage the lock or safe.

I NEED to open it soon, but I Want to then clean it up, clean it out, service the mechanism, and discover what I can about this safe and the other old one. The process so far has really piqued my interest.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 18-04-17 at 11:48 PM.

Thread Information