Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

In checking pictures of Pillard locks including the ones posted here, I have noticed that several have had the wheel gate openings filed wider to account for wear. This type of wear results in a misalignment of the gates at the fence and the lock becomes difficult to open. Generally it is the last wheel number that gets the abuse, but it is the first number dialed that shows the most misalignment due to the additive wear of all the wheels. Dealing with this problem is usually solved by slightly passing the number or numbers given.

Default 1871 Pillard's Safe combination Lock Brass Dial

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pillard combination lock.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	17954

Default Re: Problematic Antique Safe w Pillards No 19 Lock

Eureka!
    I finally had some time to address this again recently, and to recruit some expert help from a local locksmith that specializes in antique locks. He was able to take the numbers my father had left, and all of the Pillards lock tips from you all, and work his way thru an opening.

It turned out the numbers from my father were Close, but would only work because he had also been spinning slightly past on each turn - AND we confirmed that he HAD inverted some of the numbers when he wrote out the sequence, as I suspected.

Once we got the safe open, the locksmith opened up the lock and worked his way thru the actual Exact numbers. After confirming them several times, he disassembled the lock, cleaned and reassembled it, and it now works perfectly - WITH the exact and correct numbers.

The actual dialing sequence was in fact the same as posted for a N10 Pillards:
    Left 4x to first number (Pass 3 times and stop at 4th)
    Right 3x to the second number (Pass 2x and stop at 3rd)
    Left 2x to the third number (Pass 1x and stop and 2nd)
    Right until the dial stops. (Positive Stop)

And, also as you all advised, Positive pressure (hard to Locked position) on the Bolt handle is imperative for the bolt drop. (In my case, Top of Bolt handle toward Left, or Non-Hinged side of door)
    Lastly, for anyone else encountering one of these old gems, the dial DOES stop and lock solidly on that last turn to the Right after dialing the combination sequence.

Thanks to everyone out there for all your help and advice, and hopefully this post can help someone else as well.

Cheers to All

Thread Information