Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I mainly use bit key blanks, and large sizes are not so commonly stocked. As well as some lever locks, they are also needed for warded door and safe locks.
    Two particular blanks are Cotterill Climax, and Cotterill-Wilson blanks.

I have made Yale feather keys from flat steel blanks, no problem. But I don't know if Yale corrugated blanks are still available (not that I need any myself).

Default blanks

your larger eagle ptpk i might have blanks for it ? the eagle i have doesn't have the rectangle piece in the plug,the smaller one i doudt if any blanks i have would work because of the shoulder when pushed into the lock body. a couple of these blanks work on mine,but the top shoulder needs filed off. the one that might work only has the one shoulder
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00708.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	420.9 KB 
ID:	17637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00709.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	17638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00710.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	17639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00712.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	17641
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00711.jpg  

Name:	CAM00713.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	17652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00714.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	17653
    pete,your right on the smaller one is a 1013E the larger lock can use a 1014 with the top shoulder removed. not sure of the original blank # with only one shoulder.

Thanks for the effort Nathan.
    Are you interested in selling any of those key blanks?
    If so, PM me and give details. I live in Toronto, Canada.
    I am not in a position to make new keys for these locks yet as I'm only starting to get a handle on the technique of how to impression keys and I wouldn't want to ruin hard to come by key blanks.
    I have read a lot and watched a number of videos but have only tried it a couple of times. I'm waiting for key blanks for a few Master Locks that I have and them will try on more advanced and more difficult locks.

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    Thanks for the effort Nathan.
    Are you interested in selling any of those key blanks?
    If so, PM me and give details. I live in Toronto, Canada.
    I am not in a position to make new keys for these locks yet as I'm only starting to get a handle on the technique of how to impression keys and I wouldn't want to ruin hard to come by key blanks.
    I have read a lot and watched a number of videos but have only tried it a couple of times. I'm waiting for key blanks for a few Master Locks that I have and them will try on more advanced and more difficult locks.
    The laminated Master padlocks are not always easy. There are many experienced locksmiths who have trouble with them.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    The laminated Master padlocks are not always easy. There are many experienced locksmiths who have trouble with them.
    BBE.
    So BBE, which padlocks would you recommend that a person begin with when starting out to hone their skills in impressioning?

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    So BBE, which padlocks would you recommend that a person begin with when starting out to hone their skills in impressioning?
    Any solid body, non-high security padlock should be fine. Just stay away from laminated locks that have a floating cylinder.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    pete,your right on the smaller one is a 1013E the larger lock can use a 1014 with the top shoulder removed. not sure of the original blank # with only one shoulder.
    I believe all the variations of Ilco 1014 have two shoulders. It is available in a longer 6-pin version, 1014A; and was also made in 7-pin, 1014AA; but that one is l-o-n-g obsolete.

Pete

mailed about 30 minutes ago. take your time and enjoy.
    this 877 is next

Name:	1492796740221.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	17671

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    mailed about 30 minutes ago. take your time and enjoy.
    this 877 is next

Name:	1492796740221.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	17671
    Thanks you very much Nathan.
    That is a nice lock.
    How long does it take you to make a key for it?
    I have a number of the Yale Standard padlocks in various sizes, some open and some locked.
    I am struggling to learn how to pick them. I have read the write up in Lauren's book and a couple of others on the internet but still can't open them. It sounds so easy when one reads a write up on the procedure.
    I'm still in the early learning stages but the struggle is fun though discouraging at times.

Thread Information