Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes started with short bits and used longer as needed with Mike-O-Cut No.87 heavy duty cutting oil. I had a big advantage on identification on the lock as there is an identical door entrance at the other end of the 16' x 66' vault room that was open. However, lacking that, only the No. 1 and 2 S&G Automatics used a 4-1/4" dial ring. The No. 2, later the C39-1/2, and still later the 651x series. According to the 1927 S&G catalog, top and bottom offset drives were available and York did make wide use of Yale versions of those offsets. But having never seen a big S&G vault lock with anything other than a sideshaft version, I would have gone for that. Knowing the door thickness definitely made the job go faster. The 17" x 3-3/8" crane hinge does give a good indication that the door was on the heavy size. Close inspection of the open door also let me know that my apparent available space in the lock was complicated by a hidden heavy horizontal supporting block that did not cover the entire lock area. Either drill through it or miss it entirely. Hitting it partially was not something I wanted to do, so between that and the pressure bar gear housing limiting hole location, the big area was reduced somewhat. But it appears that there was minimal drill deflection, so it did work out fine. I do know that without a sample the job would have taken quite a bit longer and I would have charged a whole lot more.

Thanks guys, here are a couple shots of the former National City Bank soon to be another fancy restaurant. Sorry for the poor pictures but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170420_200619.jpg   IMG_20170420_200854.jpg  

A hole shot and drilling helper Matt Dzurko, who got me the job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170418_111820.jpg   IMG_20170418_112240.jpg   IMG_20170418_114210.jpg  

David, either you have a photographic memory or Skip is sending you messages from beyond. Can you place this door?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170420_204007.jpg  

Default ID

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    David, either you have a photographic memory or Skip is sending you messages from beyond. Can you place this door?
    Is that the old Union Trust Bank downtown Providence RI.

DH

Very interesting, Doug. Do you know how thick the 5 layer sheets of chrome steel were? It was probably made by the Chrome Steel Works. As you know I have an interest in this burglar plate (Adamantine) since I discovered their trade mark stamping on each piece of my Mosler screw door safe. According to a 1904 document I found recently they had the capability to make sheets of this 5 ply burglar plate 100 inches wide, 2.5 inches thick, in any length.

It is claimed to be drill, cut, and explosion proof, at least back in the day. Guess you have proved them wrong.

1so0lz 1

Yes found it in downtown Providence. Unfortunately only had a little time there, but it's a very impressive double door setup.

The 5 ply was 1-1/4" thick and there were 5 layers of it spread throughout the door. So the total of the chrome steel was 2-1/2", two 1/4" layers in each section of 5 ply.

Doug what a difference in the swarf we can see in those pictures, what's fallen onto the gear housing for the pressure bars in the picture where the dials removed looks positively nasty! Fine and powdery with needle sharp chips has all the hallmarks of the really hard stuff, whereas the long twisted spirals fallen down onto the hinge carriage in the picture where you're holding the drill looks soft/mild in comparison. That's one thick door to be battling hard stuff deep like that, the more I look at the pictures the more impressive it is.

Is the hard stuff in parallel to the face of the door, or is it at an angle?

Thread Information