Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Anti wedge devices

Would anybody like to talk about anti wedge devices?

As a boy I saw a Chubb Banker which had been attacked using explosives. It is a very long time ago, 50+ years, but in my memory the door had been blown almost double yet it had held. Around the edge some devices had fired which were small protruding bars about the size of a cotton bobbin. I was told by the man from Chubb, who had come to open the unit, that these were anti wedge devices, but he might have been spinning a yarn to a young boy.

I think I might have related this part of the story before. The police knew who had tried to blow the safe but couldn't prove it. His hallmark was that he always used far too much explosive. In this case he put the escutcheons through a wall with the blast! His criminal career came to an abrupt end when he tried to recruit his waning supply of explosives by robbing a coal mine magazine. How did he get in? Well let me say they found very little of either him or the magazine. Sympathetic detonation is a queer subject.

The chubb blokes reply sounds a bit of bs to me, most anti explosive devices are internal, although I have seen safes where aed bolts fire out from the door into the frame. His reply about these being for wedging attacks sounds off, besides stronger doors, bolts and frames, the devices I remember that were effective to prevent wedging were hook bolts like on some of the Hobbs stuff and dovetails built into the frame and body to prevent door/frame, spreading/wedging.

Have this safe at home, would have thought these studs and recesses were anti wedging measures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170410_003.jpg   WP_20170410_004.jpg   WP_20170410_005.jpg  

Thread Information