Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default GeGe 125 Years Anniversary Key Blanks

Just wondering if anyone can remember these GeGe 125th Anniversary blanks- found 2 of them on gilt coloured keyrings but can't see any point to them whatsoever! They are simply un-profiled blanks before they have the section machined down the blade. They haven't their common GE1 profile for any practical use nor are they fancy enough to want to keep as a souvenir. They also forgot to include what year the 125th Anniversary was!

Years ago we had a profile machine for milling sections in blank blanks- a few of the Italian blank manufacturers made solid blanks available with no profile or section so you could machine your own profile down the key blade. I'd put these away in with the solid Ilco and Orion blanks but an un-profiled anniversary key blank?? Chocolate fireplaces and ashtrays on motorbikes spring to mind!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	996.9 KB 
ID:	17506 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	16 
Size:	988.6 KB 
ID:	17507 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	967.9 KB 
ID:	17508

Forgot the one on the gilt chain, they were both on these when we got them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	514.8 KB 
ID:	17509

AT the time they profiled the keys in Taunton and the depth keys were made on unprofiled blanks for long life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    AT the time they profiled the keys in Taunton and the depth keys were made on unprofiled blanks for long life.
    Aha would that have been at Kaba's or am I barking up the wrong tree Tom? I can remember going to Kaba's at Taunton, tied in with MLA IIRC, was thinking Grundmann's for Gege but possibly a Kaba link going back as it's got to be nearly thirty years ago..
    So it looks like they really knew how to throw a celebration and really wow the trade with 125th Anniversary depth keys that they forgot to cut the depths on!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Aha would that have been at Kaba's or am I barking up the wrong tree Tom? I can remember going to Kaba's at Taunton, tied in with MLA IIRC, was thinking Grundmann's for Gege but possibly a Kaba link going back as it's got to be nearly thirty years ago..
    So it looks like they really knew how to throw a celebration and really wow the trade with 125th Anniversary depth keys that they forgot to cut the depths on!
    True 1987 may have been slightly early for Kaba taking them over but I cant remember exactly when that happened.
    The chocolate Kaba keys they once did were lovely and very temporarily in a whole other league to those "valuable" momentos that you have there.

Those Kaba chocolates were something else, think they re-introduced them in the late 2000's as I recall my mother had some when they were still doing their travels around the various MLA regions, but from memory they weren't anywhere near as good as the ones I remember munching in the 70s & 80s!

Thread Information