Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Time Lock Servicing

Does anyone know of any watchmakers that are familiar with antique time locks and service them. I have a few that I would like to have serviced but some are probably better left in the hands of a watchmaker that has worked on them before. I don't really want to take a pin dial to someone who has never seen one before. I am located in California so if there were someone in my area that would be better but I am willing to ship. In addition I have a few that need new glass in the doors and am unsure of what would be the best way to go about having new glass cut for them. Does anyone have any suggestions ar experience with this? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Antique Time Lock Servicing

You could try contacting TimeMasters to see if they can recommend anyone in your area. They offer a manual on timelock servicing and as such maybe able to assist. I fear that the days of finding suitably skilled watchmakers locally may be gone and it's certainly hard to know just who to trust such items too for service.

http://www.worldclasslocks.com/

Default Re: Antique Time Lock Servicing

Thanks for the reply. I tried to contact him before I posted here. I sent him an email on the 28th and have not received a reply as of yet. Who knows it may have been filtered out because of a spam filter or he may be on vacation as it is the time of the year for it. Because of Dan's articles I was very reluctant to take the time locks to just anyone. I have taken a triple L to one local watchmaker but in addition I also gave him all of Mr. Christianson's articles from the Times to go with them so he would have as much information as possible when servicing them. My local guy has done a good job but Dan says that you usually need special tools in his articles and I fear my local watchmaker won't have them or feel like producing them to service my small collection. I can keep him busy with triple L's for a while but I would rather not have the rarer timelocks sent to a first timer.
    Jacob

Default Antique Time Lock Movement Servicing

I am also in need of servicing Yale & Towne movements from my Triple L and K time locks. Please let me know of anyone who services these movements - Thx!

You might try contacting these folks: http://www.righttime.com/ They have a good reputation. The mechanisms in those locks are fairly simple as timepieces go. If they can't do it, perhaps they can recommend someone.

Thread Information