Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default didn't things just look nicer in the good old days.

was sorting through some old keys and locks, nothing out of the ordinary fancy, just standard stuff, but it was just made and finished nicer than modern stuff, even the cylinder key.
    And the chubb lead seal, on the key packet, I also have some wax sealed chubb key packets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170401_003.jpg   WP_20170401_004.jpg  

will try again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170401_002.jpg  

I have a refurbed Manifoil in a specially made canvas bag with drawstring holes that's sealed in a similar fashion.

I have seen the aed cords on chubb safes and strongrooms terminated with the lead seals to stop them unravelling, memory suggests I might even have one of these hand clamps somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    I have seen the aed cords on chubb safes and strongrooms terminated with the lead seals to stop them unravelling, memory suggests I might even have one of these hand clamps somewhere.
    There's some really nice keys in that photo Gary.
    You mentioning the crimping pliers for AED wires and Al the kit bags for Manifoils brought back memories for me.

When I think back Re-wiring relockers, although very infrequent, was probably one of my most dreaded tasks. You'd look at the manufacturers perfect crimps (no matter how powerful the compressed Spring was! Some on Bankers safes could launch you to the moon) and I'd always be thinking are mine going to hold as good or will it very slowly start to slip through...
    Neednt have worried, never did have one fail but that was probably down to me crimping about 6 ferrules on instead of 2!

Have never seen those Lead seals used for Chubb keys before, but have seen hundreds of the Manifoils like Al has.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	17500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	17501
    Going back the Rebuilt detector locks were also re-issued in slightly smaller versions, but the Merseys always boxed with the polystyrene packing pieces.

Huw - is that a Fotherigham key machine just out of shot in the second picture ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Huw - is that a Fotherigham key machine just out of shot in the second picture ?
    Well spotted oldlock it is indeed a Fotheringham Blades Vectis- had it from new

Any chance of a piccy ?

When I was a sprog the first place I worked had one of those and I expect it's still going strong !

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Any chance of a piccy ?

When I was a sprog the first place I worked had one of those and I expect it's still going strong !
    Here ya go, thought it was just me that had a soft spot for these! I heard many didnt get on with all the fiddly adjustments, but it's that and it's build that makes it so great. We also had an old Mancuna and a massive 350SL? Keden, but always found myself using this. Brilliant all-rounder, Rolls Royce-like build and equally at home cutting the tiniest finest wards or a Chatwood double bitted that's two foot long. It's having a well deserved retirement break these days, gets about 5 or 10 mins use a year now!

Views:	30 
Size:	522.5 KB 
ID:	17502 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	476.9 KB 
ID:	17503 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	17504 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	499.0 KB 
ID:	17505

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Here ya go, thought it was just me that had a soft spot for these! I heard many didnt get on with all the fiddly adjustments, but it's that and it's build that makes it so great. We also had an old Mancuna and a massive 350SL? Keden, but always found myself using this. Brilliant all-rounder, Rolls Royce-like build and equally at home cutting the tiniest finest wards or a Chatwood double bitted that's two foot long. It's having a well deserved retirement break these days, gets about 5 or 10 mins use a year now!

Views:	30 
Size:	522.5 KB 
ID:	17502 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	476.9 KB 
ID:	17503 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	17504 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	499.0 KB 
ID:	17505
    I still use mine for cutting a key to a lock, warded, bulleted, long, etc.
    When I went to collect my new machine, Mr Fothers made me 2 covers to stop swarf getting onto the slides -10 minutes and perfect, even painted to match -you would never realise that they hadnt been designed, prototyped, tested and refined before manufacture. And then he asked if I wanted to buy a second machine, but despite his sales enthuisiasm, I couldnt work out how to operate two at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fother.jpg  

Thread Information