Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Can someone help ID and date these trunk half mortise locks?

Hello, everyone! I am here hoping to pick some brains in an attempt to assemble a puzzle. I recently rescued these very old trunks from the attic of a house I was helping clean out. I'm now trying to assemble the life of this man. I found a bronze grave marker, showing he was born in 1848, and died in 1917. I'm trying to pin a date on the trunks, and I thought the locks might provide a clue as to when the trunks were made. They seem original, as they were on the trunks when they were painted black, and they were painted black before they were lettered. Someone, at some time redid the lettering on the smaller trunk. The locks have no markings on them that I can see. The funny thing is that the larger lock "B" is from the smaller trunk. Any help is appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trunks.jpg   Lock A.JPG   Lock A rear.jpg   Lock A top.jpg   Lock B.jpg  

Lock B rear.jpg   Lock B top.jpg   Lg trunk top.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjon100 View Post
    Hello, everyone! I am here hoping to pick some brains in an attempt to assemble a puzzle. I recently rescued these very old trunks from the attic of a house I was helping clean out. I'm now trying to assemble the life of this man. I found a bronze grave marker, showing he was born in 1848, and died in 1917. I'm trying to pin a date on the trunks, and I thought the locks might provide a clue as to when the trunks were made. They seem original, as they were on the trunks when they were painted black, and they were painted black before they were lettered. Someone, at some time redid the lettering on the smaller trunk. The locks have no markings on them that I can see. The funny thing is that the larger lock "B" is from the smaller trunk. Any help is appreciated!
    I'm guessing middle to late 19th century, about the same vintage as the deceased!

Pete Schifferli

It is actually my first attempt to date something, but I would say that mid to late XIX century would be my guess. Hope that helped

And hey - nice find by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I'm guessing middle to late 19th century, about the same vintage as the deceased!

Pete Schifferli
    "Ask a stupid question....." I left myself wide open for that. LOL! I guess more what I'm looking for is possible country of origin - whether he was right from Scotland, or American, or somewhere else in Britian....Researching "McLeod" is like researching "Jones", or "Smith" - and with the first name "Donald" - fuhgeddaboudit!
    Thanks Stefan!

Default box locks

Such locks have been made in Willenhall by the million from at least 18C to 1960's. From last quarter of 19C onwards, would be likely as they are screwed together rather than merely riveted. Willenhall locks were distributed all over Britain, even as far as North Britain.

Thread Information