Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Diebold Safe Help and Information-Appreciate Any Help!

Hey guys,

I just bought a new house and was left a massive Diebold Safe in the basement. It says Patent 1885 on it does that mean it is really that old?? If so that is pretty awesome. Anyway, the homeowner left me the combination but I have tried everything and cannot get it open. Can you help me with the sequence or make sense out of what they left me below? Also, are these worth anything? If so who is looking for them I would rather sell it and look into a newer safe. Finally, anyone have any recommendations on how to move this thing? I cannot budge it and feel like it would crush the wooden stairs if I were to take it out. Really appreciate any information you guys have. I have pics also.

Combo:
    Outside:
    Left-30
    Right 4-95
    Left 3-45
    Right 2-20
    L-85

Inside:
    Right-20
    Left 4-45
    Right 3-95
    Left 2-30
    R-85

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0370.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	17465 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0371.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	17466 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	17467 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0373.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	17468 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0374.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17469

Hey there :)

This safe appeared more than one time here in this forum. I dont have the thread now at hand, but just do a little searching and you will find it here :)

Cheers

Maik

Default reply

Thanks for the suggestion...but I am having trouble finding anything. Anyone know the value or at least how to open this thing? It would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Quote Originally Posted by RiemannHypothesis View Post
    Hey there :)

This safe appeared more than one time here in this forum. I dont have the thread now at hand, but just do a little searching and you will find it here :)

Cheers

Maik

Both combinations should read 5 times to the first number.

Default safe

Thank you for the suggestion! I tried that but still nothing. Is there some button or lever that needs engaged before entering the combo? The lock handle is just spinning freely right now. It worked when I locked it but not it is limp. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Both combinations should read 5 times to the first number.

"It worked when I locked it." From that statement I gather you locked the door shut prior to trying the combination with door open. And since the handle is now free spinning, you are talking about the inner chest. It does free spin until you successfully dial the correct combination, then engages to withdraw the boltwork. At this point I would forget about the inner door and focus on the outer door. Lock the door open and try both the combinations you have. If the hinges on the outer door are on the right, that comb should also be R5-L4-R3-L2-R1 to stop.

Default safe

Doug, Thank you so much!!! I opened both!!! I should have phrased better but I actually locked both open so no worries. Also, the previous owners actually reversed the inside and outside safe combos on the paper probably as a security measure. They also reversed the direction and when I used the direction you gave it worked! This is a really cool intricate machine for its age! I do have a couple more questions. The outer door wont shut the whole way. I noticed there are two threaded cylinders on the hinges with a hole in them. Are those made to turn and adjust the door height? Also, the wheel on the outside only turns slightly. I am guessing it is seized? It looks to me like it should turn that horizontal rod to lock the door in place correct? Finally, are there any "safeguards" I can do while it is open to keep it in good working condition? Any places to lube etc...such as in the boxes behind the dial?? Any more you can give me would be great!

"It worked when I locked it." From that statement I gather you locked the door shut prior to trying the combination with door open. And since the handle is now free spinning, you are talking about the inner chest. It does free spin until you successfully dial the correct combination, then engages to withdraw the boltwork. At this point I would forget about the inner door and focus on the outer door. Lock the door open and try both the combinations you have. If the hinges on the outer door are on the right, that comb should also be R5-L4-R3-L2-R1 to stop.

I would guess those hinges are adjustable. I haven't seen that feature before, or just didn' t notice them. The doors are extremely tight fitting so the jamb and door edges must be scrupulously clean, prior to doing any adjusting. Also the inner door must be fully shut including the position of the pressure bar handle. The outer door pressure bar must be completely engaged, meaning the wheel must be fully turned before the door bolts will extend. If the combs work okay don' t mess with them. Otherwise if something looks like it could use lubrication, give it a shot.

Default safe

Ok, I will try those a report back. It looks like it is tight fitting like you said so I hope that I can get it adjusted to close. Thanks again for your help!

I would guess those hinges are adjustable. I haven't seen that feature before, or just didn' t notice them. The doors are extremely tight fitting so the jamb and door edges must be scrupulously clean, prior to doing any adjusting. Also the inner door must be fully shut including the position of the pressure bar handle. The outer door pressure bar must be completely engaged, meaning the wheel must be fully turned before the door bolts will extend. If the combs work okay don' t mess with them. Otherwise if something looks like it could use lubrication, give it a shot.

Thread Information