Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Identification help needed on Antique Safe from Panama

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I bought an antique safe that came from Panama, Central America. I would like to know more about it like the maker/age of safe/value and anything you might be able to tell me. Also, thinking about restoration or leaving it alone. It is extremely heavy and has mahogany panels and shelves. Please advise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1460.JPG   IMG_1458.JPG   IMG_1456.JPG   IMG_1457.JPG   IMG_1459.JPG  

I guess no takers on trying to identify? Any help or advise would be appreciated. THX

Hello Mat, in all fairness it was only yesterday when you posted this, some of the more experienced safe techs on your side of the pond don't get on as often as the 'hobbyist' members. Might have to be patient but usually someone is able to help out.

Yes sir, I understand. I forgot you guys were over there. I will be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and I bought an antique safe that came from Panama, Central America. I would like to know more about it like the maker/age of safe/value and anything you might be able to tell me. Also, thinking about restoration or leaving it alone. It is extremely heavy and has mahogany panels and shelves. Please advise.
    What is the brand name stamped on the front of the center of the dial? Looks like it may be Yale but is very hard to read in the picture and the rest of the name doesn't quite fit with Yale. What is the last patent date stamped in the center of the dial? That will at least indicate the earliest date it could have been made.

Sorry I can't help more, but I never was much of a safe expert.
    BBE.

It says Yale Lock MFG Co. Stamford Conn. Last Patent Nov. 8, 1880. Thank you

You have a Herring-Hall - Marvin safe. The lock model is a HE 3 wheel with a front wheel driver. There is also a relocker on the back cover of this lock. TJ

Thank you T Davidson, any idea on how old, value and what is a relocker? Please advise. Have a nice day!

The relocker in your case is a small spring loaded device which jams the lock bolt in the locked position. This is held in the unfired position by the presence of the back plate of the lock. So any attack on the lock, which disturbs the back plate, such as punching the spindle through will not unlock the lock, it will simply secure it in the locked position.

There are other types but I annoy people when I start rabbiting on too much on this subject.

Thank you Chubby! Great to know. I assume this safe was manufactured before 1900?

Thread Information