Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Identification help needed on Antique Safe from Panama

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I bought an antique safe that came from Panama, Central America. I would like to know more about it like the maker/age of safe/value and anything you might be able to tell me. Also, thinking about restoration or leaving it alone. It is extremely heavy and has mahogany panels and shelves. Please advise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1460.JPG   IMG_1458.JPG   IMG_1456.JPG   IMG_1457.JPG   IMG_1459.JPG  

I guess no takers on trying to identify? Any help or advise would be appreciated. THX

Hello Mat, in all fairness it was only yesterday when you posted this, some of the more experienced safe techs on your side of the pond don't get on as often as the 'hobbyist' members. Might have to be patient but usually someone is able to help out.

Yes sir, I understand. I forgot you guys were over there. I will be patient.

If the dial is original, it is unlikely to be a HHM. The HE Yale lock patent 672,911 is from 1901 and the Yale OB patent 533,753 in 1895. Early HHM safes did use a lot of different locks, but given that Yale had several other 1880's patents and HHM started in 1892?, I wouldn't expect to see that early a dial. So I am curious as well. Pulling the cover is not difficult and once we see what you have, getting it back together shouldn't be a problem.

I am planning to carefully remove the back panel over the next few days and take pictures of the inside for you. Is there anything i need to be aware of before doing this? Will anything come apart unexpectedly that would be trouble to reassemble? I just dont want to have $500 service call to fix anything. It's working perfectly now.

It is just effectively removing an inspection panel. Couldn't be simpler.

A blast of WD40 around the screws an hour before you try to budge them wouldn't hurt, but is by no means necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    If the dial is original, it is unlikely to be a HHM. The HE Yale lock patent 672,911 is from 1901 and the Yale OB patent 533,753 in 1895. Early HHM safes did use a lot of different locks, but given that Yale had several other 1880's patents and HHM started in 1892?, I wouldn't expect to see that early a dial. So I am curious as well. Pulling the cover is not difficult and once we see what you have, getting it back together shouldn't be a problem.
    i posted more pictures for you to see the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and I bought an antique safe that came from Panama, Central America. I would like to know more about it like the maker/age of safe/value and anything you might be able to tell me. Also, thinking about restoration or leaving it alone. It is extremely heavy and has mahogany panels and shelves. Please advise.
    What is the brand name stamped on the front of the center of the dial? Looks like it may be Yale but is very hard to read in the picture and the rest of the name doesn't quite fit with Yale. What is the last patent date stamped in the center of the dial? That will at least indicate the earliest date it could have been made.

Sorry I can't help more, but I never was much of a safe expert.
    BBE.

It says Yale Lock MFG Co. Stamford Conn. Last Patent Nov. 8, 1880. Thank you

Thread Information