Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Safe ID ?

I have reservations that this safe was mfg by HHM.

I have not seen it all, but have been studying and recording dial patents for almost 40 years. From my findings your patent group would indicate one of the locks below;

Yale 024, 026, 028, OB/B, & Marvin Imperial
    July 25 1871
    Sept 2 1873
    July 28 1874
    Sept 7 1880
    Nov 2 1880
    Nov 2 1880

It's easier to ID a safe from an interior door picture showing the bolt work mechanism and combination lock.

DH

I guess i could remove the inside back panel but have reservations doing so. It has a round silver medalion that is attached by some screws (appears to be directly behind the dial) and not sure what that is and how to disassemble/re-assemble. Is it easy to do? Please advise.

Thanks

If the dial is original, it is unlikely to be a HHM. The HE Yale lock patent 672,911 is from 1901 and the Yale OB patent 533,753 in 1895. Early HHM safes did use a lot of different locks, but given that Yale had several other 1880's patents and HHM started in 1892?, I wouldn't expect to see that early a dial. So I am curious as well. Pulling the cover is not difficult and once we see what you have, getting it back together shouldn't be a problem.

I am planning to carefully remove the back panel over the next few days and take pictures of the inside for you. Is there anything i need to be aware of before doing this? Will anything come apart unexpectedly that would be trouble to reassemble? I just dont want to have $500 service call to fix anything. It's working perfectly now.

It is just effectively removing an inspection panel. Couldn't be simpler.

A blast of WD40 around the screws an hour before you try to budge them wouldn't hurt, but is by no means necessary.

My concern is not removing the inspection panel. It's the silver medalion that is attached to the panel with several screws. It appears to be directly behind the dial. Do i remove this first?

I have never seen anything like that. I would leave it in place and remove the back panel. I hope someone with more experience can help you.

The silver medallion may be the lock curb holding the wheelpack into the lock, hard to say without closer pictures, but if it is undo the screws on it and then try to rotate the medallion slightly to remove it, a bit like a bayonet light fitting. d

Ok, see pictures, got the panel off and medalion that holds the back of the dial. Really neat stuff, appears very old with square nuts and hammer marks in the metal. The back panel has TL letters? Any one ever seen one of these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1492.jpg   IMG_1499.jpg   IMG_1497.jpg   IMG_1496.JPG   IMG_1495.JPG  

More pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1494.JPG   IMG_1493.jpg   IMG_1498.jpg  

Thread Information