Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Victory Key

Default Victory Key

I have this keys s both have "V" stamp on Corbin 1000DA and Master 27. If look closer to the Corbin key you will see two piece. The Master key doesn't but why it have "V" stamp on key have no idea...Timothy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corbin 1000DA Key Blank.jpg   Master 27 Key Blank.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I have this keys s both have "V" stamp on Corbin 1000DA and Master 27. If look closer to the Corbin key you will see two piece. The Master key doesn't but why it have "V" stamp on key have no idea...Timothy...
    The different markings on Master Lock keys was to help identify the key section which in turn helped identify the lock product number that it fit. Very helpful to help making identification via the telephone. I think that key was originally for a #15 lock. BW the ID method seems to have been abandoned in the 1960's.
    BBE.

Default Victory Key

Thank BBE. It that I has it for so long have no idea of why it have the "V" stamp. Nice to know....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    The Ilco blank on the left was produced during WWII to conserve brass for the war effort, the bow was steel and the blade brass, joined together by the "V" for Victory stamping.
    The Master Lock incised Roman numeral "V" was intended to proclaim 5-pins, a new concept for them back in the 1960s; as most all of their previous pin tumbler padlocks were 4-pin.

Pete Schifferli

Default Victory Key

Thank Pete
    I knew about the Corbin key blank. The Master key the only trying to find out why the "V" stamp. Here message got while back for any Victory Key...Timothy....

Corbin 1000DA “V” Key Blank

These are original "Victory" key blanks. The Victory key was produced during World War II by Independent Lock Company (now known as Ilco Lock Co.) of Fitchburg Massachusetts. The bow was casted from different metals so the U.S. government could have more brass for the war effort. The blade is brass and if you look closely you can see where the two metals are stamped (pressed) together. The bow is stamped on both sides with the "V" trademark that was used to identify these keys. A great find for any key collection.

Thread Information