Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Newbie, Hi could anyone help with information and value of 3 Barron's padlocks please

Attachment 17511I have 3 of these locks and one key that fits all three identical locks. Imprinted in the brass front is 2 Lever BARRON'S. I would like to know how old they are and any other information and what they were used for and what value i could expect to sell the three locks together for ? Thank You.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock2.jpg   lock1.jpg  

Outbackjack, if you log in and search "Barron's Patent" in the search box at the top right of the page you'll find a load of info on the site that's been discussed on these before that will hopefully be of help to you.

Your locks are more than likely examples of the numerous generic copies that were made more recent but still spread over a considerable time scale. Original Barron's locks were marked with his full name, full address and other fine details IIRC.
    Yours are still nice locks though and it's unusual to see three keyed to pass (alike)on the same key.

Default Hi Huw

Thank you very much for your reply and information, I will do like you said and look up Barron's Patent.
    Regards Outbackjack.

Default Barron padlocks

Some early Barron door locks were later converted to Chubb-type levers, so originals are not so common. Not done to padlocks, and Barron-type padlocks continued to be made in Willenhall until 1939.

Most early ones I have seen include a hook ward (seems Barron might not have entirely trusted his new lock mechanism, or maybe he thought his customers might not). These, black japanned, have a late-19c look.

I have a cash box lock from 1839 which was certainly not made by Barron or his son.

Default Barron's Padlocks

Thanks Chubbramah for the info, seems i have alot to learn about Barron and his locks and their many copies. This makes it hard to put a time on when mine were made and their value.

Thread Information