Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need help with stuck pins

I need some hep and advise in dealing with a couple of PKPT padlocks that I own.
    One is a Yale 905 and the other is a small Corbin approx 1 1/2" across with a keyway that takes a flat key.
    I have tried to pick and shim both of these as I have done with many other PKPT padlocks but on each one there appears to be one pin that will not move.
    The apparatus containing the keyway and shackle is easily moved in both of these locks so I have tried jiggling, moving it sideways etc as I try to push the pin up but there is no give in the pin.
    With a hook pick, I am able to easily loosen and remove the little steel plugs that sit over the pins on outside of the Corbin. Not sure about the Yale.
    I do not have working keys for either of these locks but have key blanks that would fit if the pins could be moved.
    Can anyone suggest what I can try to get these locks to open?
    Thanks.

It would be more helpful if post picture.....Timothy.......

So Timothy I am posting some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails both locks.jpg   yale bottom.jpg   corbin bottom.jpg   corbin side1.jpg   corbin side w 1 plug removed.jpg  

corbin plug.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ltgbk View Post
    It would be more helpful if post picture.....Timothy.......
    Try aerosol lubrication with a "straw" to enter the keyway; Lock Saver, Houdini or Tri-Flow etc.

Pete Schifferli

Pete was right and it may loose up the pin top and bottom. It does take time to get the slim all the way it. Just have to do one pin at time. Most time what i do went i get the slim in about half way. I lubrication right into the slim so it will loose up the rest of the pins. Keep this in mind take awhile to get these pin loose up. Went lubrication the lock let it set for a day or more. Might have to lubrication again to be sure the plug and pins are loose.....Timothy...

Thanks for the responses.
    I'm having trouble finding lock save and houdini up here in Canada but have found some Tri-flow that I ordered and should get early in the week and will give it a go.
    I assume that you mean the aerosol spray vs the Tri-flow liquid, is that correct or is either one just as good?

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    Thanks for the responses.
    I'm having trouble finding lock save and houdini up here in Canada but have found some Tri-flow that I ordered and should get early in the week and will give it a go.
    I assume that you mean the aerosol spray vs the Tri-flow liquid, is that correct or is either one just as good?
    Yes, you want the aerosol as stated previously. I believe it comes with a "straw" so that you can get the lube well into the keyway. Let it sit a while, then try pushing your key in and out and/or moving the stuck pins(s) with a pick.

Pete

Tri-Flow may work. Don't know if they have any Monolex 2059 Spray can in Canada. This is good stuff to use for getting dirt or whatever else. I have been using this for year. You can call them to find out where to get this or go here: < http://www.thomasnet.com/catalogs/item/30495208-7527-1127-2741/lubrication-engineers-inc/monolex-174-penetrating-oil-and-lubricant-2059/ >

Keep this in mind spray it into
    the plug, if you have a rake pick, use it to loose up the pins and leave it over night. May have to do it again....Timothy.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monolex 2059.jpg  

Thanks for the reply Timothy.
    I have found a source for Monolex 2059 spray about a 20min car ride from me.
    I can get Tri-Flow about 5min walk from me.
    Do you find the Monolex 2039 that much better and would it be useful to have both it and Tri-flow on hand?

I never use Tri-Flow that much only for more like to oil something. The last I heard that Tri-Flow have lot oil in it and may could dirt built up inside lock. Monolex 2059 doesn't have a lot of oil in it but believe me it does clearn out the lock real good. Have been using it for year.....Timothy.....

Thread Information