Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi: The key has no stop, that's to say it is just pushed until the lock opens. That means the relative bit depths are important and the absolute depths do not matter. For example a lock with two wafers could have 36 possible keys if there was an absolute reference, like in a pin tumbler. Bot for a lever lock with two wafers there are only 11 unique keys (fewer of you can flip the key over). I have not figured out a general formula, got the 11 by listing all of them.
    http://www.prc68.com/I/Locks.html#Lever_Pancake_Padlock

Have Fun, Brooke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00707.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	17553
    the 3 keys here have had the stop removed for various reasons, all keys for these pancakes 4-6-8 lever did have stops as the new and used keys and blanks show

sorry, i have seen a few eagle with straight keys . i do not know if they were original and there were a couple others that had side and or a notch in the center
    i have a nhc ,miller secure push keys and s/b and crank push keys with no stops.
    the yale 633,and baffler keys do have stops,
    apparently some do and some do not,enjoy the site and have fun collecting. the gentlemen here have a wealth of knowledge and understanding

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00707.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	17553
    the 3 keys here have had the stop removed for various reasons, all keys for these pancakes 4-6-8 lever did have stops as the new and used keys and blanks show
    I think that if the stops on the blank keys are left in place then the number of "key changes" would be much higher, but the stop works like warding so when removed the number of key changes drops a lot. In the case of a skeleton key the number of key changes drops to 1.

Have Fun & Thanks for the photo.
    PS How are push keys cut?

Thread Information