Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Master "Champ" #217 adjustable-shackle combination padlock

The Master "Champ" #1500 combination padlock, and its (somewhat) adjustable bike lock cousin, the #1517, are two classic Master padlocks that are still made today. But there was also another model of Master "Champ" combination padlock.

A while back, when I was actively monitoring eBay for collectible Master padlocks I may want, there were a couple of old Master ads listed from an old hardware catalog, dating from 1938 or 1939 (I don't really remember which). One of the ads was for bicycle padlocks. One of the bike locks was an interesting model of Master "Champ" combination padlock. The lock body is apparently the same as the #1517 bike lock, but unlike the #1517, this lock has a long straight-legged shackle with lots of notches to be set to (which makes it much more adjustable than the #1517). The lock's model number was 217, if I am remembering correctly.

A somewhat beat-up specimen of this lock appeared on eBay back in 2010 and I bought it. I have attached photos of the front and back of the lock. The aforementioned Master catalog ad advertised the #217 as having a steel case (as the Master "Champ" combination padlocks originally had), but my specimen appears to have a brass case, so it's probably from a little later.

The serial number on the back of my lock is 10598; there is no visible "B" prefix as the serial numbers on other early Master "Champ"s seem to often have. I do not have the combination to the lock, and attempts to crack the combination using the method at http://masterunlocked.com/ and to shim the lock with shims made out of plastic straws have failed (although I did manage to shim the lock into adjusting into a different notch, which I believe I reverted).

Just sharing this lock since it seems to be a more uncommon model. Any additional information on it is welcome.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2190-cropped.jpg   100_2192-cropped.jpg  

Unfortunately the once-proud Master Lock Co. relocated 700 union assembly jobs from Milwaukee to Nogales, Mexico and outsourced its distribution center in Louisville, KY. It also shuttered the former factories of acquired American Lock in Crete, IL and Dexter Lock in Auburn, AL. Most of its consumer padlocks and door hardware are now "made to exclusive Master Lock specifications in China". On a positive note, President Obama recently praised the company for returning 100 jobs to Milwaukee that had been moved overseas stating, "when Master Lock looked at the numbers, they saw that union workers in America could do the same job at competitive cost, as non-union workers in China".

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064 View Post
    The serial number on the back of my lock is 10598; there is no visible "B" prefix as the serial numbers on other early Master "Champ"s seem to often have. I do not have the combination to the lock, and attempts to crack the combination using the method at http://masterunlocked.com/ and to shim the lock with shims made out of plastic straws have failed (although I did manage to shim the lock into adjusting into a different notch, which I believe I reverted).Just sharing this lock since it seems to be a more uncommon model. Any additional information on it is welcome. Regards, Zachary.
    As locksmith I have access to the Reed Padlock Code Book Volume 3 which has some information on the Nos. 210, 217 and 1517 combination locks of which only the 1517 is extant. The book includes some of the unprefixed codes from 10001 to 28421, unfortunately 10598 is not included. Note that the No. 217 apparently had 4-tumblers thus a 4-digit combination as 16-22-16-10. The opening procedure would be:

RIGHT.3-turns to first number of combination
    LEFT...passing 1st number TWICE, stop at 2nd number
    RIGHT.passing 2nd number ONCE, stop at 3rd number
    LEFT...to the 4th number. Pull shackle to open.
    -or-
    RIGHT.3-turns to first number of combination
    LEFT...passing 1st number ONCE, stop at 2nd number
    RIGHT.passing 2nd number ONCE, stop at 3rd number
    LEFT...to the 4th number. Pull shackle top open.

You may be still be able to get the combination for this old lock directly from Master Lock, see the procedure at this link:
    Frequently Asked Questions - Master LockŪ

Pete Schifferli

[QUOTE=Pschiffe;8048]Unfortunately the once-proud Master Lock Co. relocated 700 union assembly jobs from Milwaukee to Nogales, Mexico and outsourced its distribution center in Louisville, KY. It also shuttered the former factories of acquired American Lock in Crete, IL and Dexter Lock in Auburn, AL. Most of its consumer padlocks and door hardware are now "made to exclusive Master Lock specifications in China". On a positive note, President Obama recently praised the company for returning 100 jobs to Milwaukee that had been moved overseas stating, "when Master Lock looked at the numbers, they saw that union workers in America could do the same job at competitive cost, as non-union workers in China".

A little misinformation there Pete. Frist of all, we are still proud and that is very unlikely to change. The American Lock factory was closed in Crete but only because we moved all the manufacturing machinery from there to the Milwaukee plant, where the product is manufactured today. The Dexter plant in AL was closed and the brand eliminated by the Schlage Lock Co upon their purchase of the assets from Master. When did that happen? Around 16 years ago. Schlage has recently resurrected that brand name and labels some products as 'Dexter by Schlage'.
    BBE.

Great information Pete, thank you! You mention a #210 model; is this model similar-looking to the #217?

So the #217 has 4 cams, huh. Perhaps that would explain why my lock has not succumbed to my attempts to crack the combination. Sounds like 4 cams would be a little more secure than the 3-cams that the #1500 and #1517 use.

I wonder why Master discontinued this lock however many years/decades ago, as its shackle is more adjustable than the still-made #1517, thus it might still be a useful model.

Perhaps someday, if I ever become active on eBay again, I'll get my hands on a new-in-box specimen of this model. That would be nice!

Regards,

Zachary.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Oh, and about asking Master directly for the combination: Perhaps I should someday if I don't get the combination some other way, like using a real shim (not one made from a plastic straw) to shim the lock open and then viewing the cams through one of the shackle holes. It does look like a bit of effort to go through (such as getting the request notarized) to make a request that Master would accept.

Great information Pete, thank you! You mention a #210 model; is this model similar-looking to the #217?
    I wonder why Master discontinued this lock however many years/decades ago, as its shackle is more adjustable than the still-made #1517, thus it might still be a useful model.
    The #210 was a short adjustable shackle version of #217, similar to the current #510 but with combo mechanism and body like #217, see image:
    http://www.taylorsecurity.com/assets...gular/510D.jpg
    Master has discontinued lots of useful products over the years. Unfortunately the business is controlled by bean counters who consider any item that doesn't sell by the boatload to be unprofitable. My 2 cents.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks Pete. That makes sense, because similarly, the #517 is a long-shackle version of the #510.

I agree with your thoughts on Master. It would be nice to see them live up to that "Supreme/Superior Quality and Workmanship Throughout!" statement that they put on some of their locks' boxes back in the 1930s. Of course, they would never meet that statement in my eyes unless they made their products right here in the U. S. A.

Last I read, the #1500 combination padlock was the only lock that they were still making in Milwaukee. Nevertheless, the modern ones simply have "Master Lock" repeated 3 times on the back instead of the old "Master Lock Co.", "Patented", "Milwaukee, Wis." etc. markings that they had previously.

Regarding American Lock, it's a shame, isn't it. I feel that usage of the term "American", the U. S. flag, and other such stuff in brand names of foreign-made products, as well as the use of "AN AMERICAN COMPANY", etc., rubbish on such products' packaging, as seen here, should be outlawed. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Zachary.

Last I read, the #1500 combination padlock was the only lock that they were still making in Milwaukee. Nevertheless, the modern ones simply have "Master Lock" repeated 3 times on the back instead of the old "Master Lock Co.", "Patented", "Milwaukee, Wis." etc. markings that they had previously.
    I have some new 1500KA (combination alike) padlocks in stock and they are ensamblado en Mexico, these are commercial box packed product. I believe the retail carded version (1500D) is made to exclusive Master Lock specifications in China.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I have some new 1500KA (combination alike) padlocks in stock and they are ensamblado en Mexico, these are commercial box packed product. I believe the retail carded version (1500D) is made to exclusive Master Lock specifications in China.

Pete Schifferli
    Well, I suppose things could have changed (devolved) since I read an online news article a while back that I believe mentioned them being made in the U.S.A. The package to my modern #1500D that I purchased probably at least 2 years ago has a 2006 copyright date and says "Made in U.S.A."

Regards,

Zachary.

If you guys want to know anything that is going on at Master Lock just ask BBE. He has worked there for a long time and knows and has helped make them better being he came from the locksmith side not the engineer side of things.

Just wondering am I the only one that can see BBE post above?

I agree that made in the USA does and should mean something. But do YOU seek out and buy that way? I know I do if I can find a quality item. I will also accept German built as a good thing as well if I can't find US built.

Thread Information