Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default E Cotterill patent door latch/lock - history and value

Hello,

We have recently discovered an E Cotterill patent door handle/latch/lock during house renovations (see attached image). Please could someone tell me more about its history and what its value is.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E Cotterill lock.jpg  

Hello JoyJones, what a beautiful latch!

Although I am familiar with many of Cotterill's distinctive key locks I have never seen one of those, it looks to be a heavy duty Cotterill version of the type often referred to as a "Suffolk Latch".

When you discovered it during renovations was it actually fitted to one of your doors?
    It would be great to see a photo of the other side if you are able to take one, it might also help anyone who has any information on it for you. What a great find!

Thanks for getting back to me Huw. The latch was attached to the door and I have attached an image of the reverse.

Anymore info from anyone else would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E Cotterill lock reverse.jpg  

Hello Joy, seeing what your second photo of the back of the latch has revealed has really surprised me tbh. From the front I'd assumed the case would be a pretty solid casting, but in fact it looks to be quite a thin pressing.

Its a shame about the damage where it's split around the fixing points, and unfortunately I'm of no help whatsoever in answering your main questions as to age and value as I'd be guessing sorry!

Thread Information