Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chatwood Cylinder Safes- does anyone know what their original livery was?

Just wondering if anyone knows the original livery of the cylinder/bomb safes, I'm guessing it was one of their typical two-tone schemes of the period and possibly lined out (like the big Midland bank door was) but I don't know for definite.
    The only colour photos I have are of one that a late locksmith friend owned, and those online of the one in the old safe museum, neither of which I believe are in original livery.

green and black with cream lines - circular cream line went around, near the front of the body, but that is all I can be sure of....

Thanks for that Tom, TBH I was hoping it'd be the black/orange or even the sort of mustard colour they did, but I did have a bit of a gut feeling it was going to be the olive green. There's quite a few pics around so I'm pretty sure I know the scheme you're saying but I can't find one to post here that's free to use without copyright etc. Thanks though, it did have me guessing!

cheers, Huw

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Thanks for that Tom, TBH I was hoping it'd be the black/orange or even the sort of mustard colour they did, but I did have a bit of a gut feeling it was going to be the olive green. There's quite a few pics around so I'm pretty sure I know the scheme you're saying but I can't find one to post here that's free to use without copyright etc. Thanks though, it did have me guessing!

cheers, Huw
    Some of their product has a yellowie green, but on closer inspection this is the same green that they then put clear varnish over - the varnish went yellow after 100 years and you get a more yellow green - I would welcome private sharing of bomb pictures as mine is (as of last week) mechanically complete apart from a laser cut pan cover, and I have to think of spraying.

Aha thanks again for that Tom, that does make sense as I reckon the safes that I'd thought were a sort of mustard colour are in fact those you say were green with the discoloured varnish.
    I'll dig out the few Cylinder safe pics that I have and PM you, be warned though it was painted bright red and silver! Lots happening here at the moment so might be a few days.
    cheers again Huw

Thread Information