Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Opening a Samuel Withers Safe

Hi all. Inherited a Samuel Withers safe from my father. I have the combination (consists of 3 numbers) but cant seem to open it. Does anyone know what is the correct procedure to unlock it? Many thanks! Alfredo

Hello and welcome Alfredo, a combination lock on a Sam Withers is pretty unusual, its likely been added/converted but in any case you will need to upload some clear photos in order for everyone to see exactly what it is you've got, here's how:

http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-to-your-posts

Hello and thanks for your response. Indeed it looks like the combination lock has been added later. Attaching a picture in case it helps. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3070.JPG  

Hello Alfredo, it's a modern S&G dial, so if you have a three number combination then it suggests it'll be a 6730 series 3-wheel lock.

Try 4 turns anti-clockwise to the first number, 3 turns clockwise to the second number, 2 turns anti-clockwise to the third. Then slowly turn the dial clockwise- if it works the lock will pick up and the dial will come to a stop and the lock should be open. Good Luck.

That is a nice neat job. Looks good. It also provides you with resistance to a punching attack. Especially if you get the safe anchored down, you have got a decent level of security there.

If there is a change key inside, when you open it up, consider changing the combination. You don't know who else is aware of it.

I wonder if the hardened plate is still in place.

Huw, many thanks again for your help. Very kind. Will try that.
    Regards,
    Alfredo

Alfredo here's a bit more detail, I was in a rush when I posted earlier.

Enter the numbers to the top central mark on the bezel and not the left one.

Turn the dial anti-clockwise passing your first combination number three times and carefully align it on the fourth.

Turn the dial clockwise passing your second combination number twice and carefully align it on the third.

Turn the dial anti-clockwise passing your third combination number once and carefully align it on the second.

Turn the dial very slowly clockwise and if all is okay it should come to a stop and the combination unlocked- you can then turn the handle to unlock the safe.

Its worth getting comfortable, stool or chair and a cuppa etc and take your time. If you make a mistake at any point you can't just turn the dial back, you need to start again. Good Luck.

Default Withers safe with stuck door

I have an old Samuel withers safe and it has been lting in the garage for a few years, it opened and closed when we bought it second hand but I tried opening it yesterday and key wont turn all the way, the brass fist handle turns slightly and it looks like the door isnt flush so im wondering if its maybe just rust holding it? I know nowt about them so any advice is appreciated as I dont want to force itand snap something! im away up in Outer Hebrides so locksmiths few and far between! Attached is a couple of pics
    Thanks in advance
    Iain

I can't see any pictures.

It does sound as if it is just dirt or rust interfering with things. Of course if the key won't turn then the handle won't move but from your description it sounds as if there is some movement. A reasonable first move is to lay it on its side so the hinges are at ground level. You then have gravity on your side as far as working the bolts is concerned. Often that is sufficient, especially if you aren't too gentle in moving it.

Default Jammed Withers

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I have an old Samuel withers safe and it has been lting in the garage for a few years, it opened and closed when we bought it second hand but I tried opening it yesterday and key wont turn all the way, the brass fist handle turns slightly and it looks like the door isnt flush so im wondering if its maybe just rust holding it? I know nowt about them so any advice is appreciated as I dont want to force itand snap something! im away up in Outer Hebrides so locksmiths few and far between! Attached is a couple of pics
    Thanks in advance
    Iain
    From the description the door is not fully closed which means that the boltwork will not be able to lock into the pockets and therefore the keylock will not be able to lock the boltwork.
    To release the door, while pulling strongly outward on the handle strike the door with the heaviest hammer available at a point close to the right hand edge of the door half-way between the hinges.
    When open, clean all round the door rebates and the edge of the door plate.

Thread Information