Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Finally managed to upload those pictures
    I hope that each of the cuts on the keys does actually represent and lift a Lever in the lock and that they didn't use the double thick levers and false cuts trick of the unscrupulous Victorian makers!

The amount of crude 6-7 Lever safe locks you'd see with extra false cuts on the keys where they fitted double thickness levers in the lock, making the keys look like 10 or 12 levers!

Only joking Tom, I know Chatwood would never really have lowered themselves to such un-gentlemanly tactics!

[QUOTE=

Only joking Tom, I know Chatwood would never really have lowered themselves to such un-gentlemanly tactics![/QUOTE]
    Not to mention that if we were being pedantic, mathematically speaking, that would be impossible on a 13 lever😺

Yes I know what you mean, although I just mentioned those at random- a 7-lever lock which has 6 thick levers, each with a second false cut and one thin lever tucked in the middle of the pack should create the "13-lever look", with the additional step for the bolt of course. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the old makers had done it!

Tom, so was it a single bitted Kromer lock? and why would someone go to the bother just for one extra lever?

double bitted but (and I am only guessing here) but it meant the blanks werent commercially available to locksmiths unless they physically made them

Thread Information