Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default did chatwood do a 12 or 13 lever single bitted invincible lock?

Have turned up some old keys the original one of which has invincible stamped on the bow and looks to have up to 13 possible lever steps, there are also two copies of the same key from chip vine Newcastle, single bitted and the stem of the key looks to have a slight taper on it, 5 guage at the tip, getting slightly thicker as you progress down the bitting, invincible made me think chatwood, but no chatwood name stamped on the bow, just invincible and 29672, any ideas?

Could they be single bitted keys cut to suit the double-bitted lock ? I recall seeing one of those locks where the keyhole was single sided but everything else in the lock was the same as normal ?

This one has a key that says Chatwood Milner
    but is in fact a Bolton Chatwood lock serial no 98615 Invincible - for an 8 inch door
    the fanlock had a very unusual single bitted key with 8 levers and 4 fan levers while the Bankers 12 lever lock was double bitted.
    My memory suggests there is a 13 lever lock but that may have been just for a Scottish Bank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chat 12 lever.jpg  

Cheers, I have seen the fanlock keys and the 12 lever double bitted ones, but never the 13 lever version like from your photo Tom, my keys are much shorter, will post up a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Cheers, I have seen the fanlock keys and the 12 lever double bitted ones, but never the 13 lever version like from your photo Tom, my keys are much shorter, will post up a picture.
    Er, the picture is of a 12 lever one.
    Do you have any Chatwood dual control locks? I dont remember seeing them when I visited...or you were hiding them :-)

miscounted the steps on yours, have seen an impregnable dual control, but don't have one unfortunately

Back in the early 90's I was making picks for many of the safe lever locks that were currently in use. The only Chatwood safe I ever worked on was a Chatwood Milner Isolator using a 16 lever double stump Lips lock. Obviously this was a late model safe. Can you tell me the approximate date when the Invincible and Impregnable ceased to be used? I am guessing around WWII. Doug

Hiya Doug, not sure on the dates, but over here the CM isolator normally had a 6K115 double bitted lock fitted rather than the lips lock and was called the duplextra mk13.

Finally managed to upload those pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170316_020.jpg   WP_20170316_022.jpg   WP_20170316_023.jpg  

I remember now - I had to change the keys to a modernish Kroma lock on a Chatwood that came from a scottish bank. Especially for them, they had put spacers in so that an extra lever could be inserted seperate but touching the 12 lever pack. I couldnt get a key blank long enough and that was probably their idea in doing it.

Thread Information