Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Mosler & Diebold

Hello, I posted in the new member forum so here's my 2nd post.

My brother-in-law and I have been looking for a gun safe for each of us. The quality & security of a $1000 box-store gun safe led me to search for more secure, greater cost gun safe. At one point, I was almost ready to spend $4,000 on a new safe. Searching CL was no luck but I came across an ebay auction where one seller had two safes listed and was 80 miles away from me. Long story short, I was the only bidder and won both for next to nothing. Only stipulation was I had to move them & transport, which I accomplished in one day.

Being new to safes, I would like to know a bit more about my purchases. The tags on the safes don't tell me much in terms of today's safe equivalent.

The mosler is a double door 75" high, 52" long, 31" wide with a Four hour fire rating, SMNA class A, & a T-20 Tamper resistance rating. Any idea's on it's age? Would this be an equivalent to a TL-15 or TL-30 rated safe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170315_211135_resized_1.jpg   20170315_211233_resized_1.jpg   20170315_211249_001_resized_1.jpg  

Next up is the Diebold. It has a serial number, a UL rated class 350-4 hour fire rating but no tamper rating.

Moderators, please adjust if necessary should you not feel these are considered "Antique safes"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170315_212003_resized_1.jpg   20170315_212304_resized_1.jpg   20170315_212323_resized_1.jpg   20170315_212404_001_resized_1.jpg   20170315_212339_001_resized_1.jpg  

Older fire resistant equipment, I don't think it is up to even tl15 rating, but then a lot of the modern gun safes are not up to much security wise either, the up side is that hopefully they will give better fire protection (they do have a bit of age to them and generally the fire protection will degrade over the years) for your weapons than your average gun safe would.
    I do not know the US ratings too well, especially the older ratings like t20,but hopefully this will give you some idea.

If you want high volume, one option to consider is finding a second hand strongroom door and building it in somewhere. I can't comment on prices in USA but in UK you can find an old strongroom door often for little more than scrap value. Then it is all up to you.

T-20 is supposed to be 20 minutes tamper resistant. It is most probably not as secure as a TL-15, but it is also most probably much more secure than a "Residential Security Container" aka gun safe. And even if the insulation has degraded a bit it is most probably still much better than that of the normal US gun safe.

Post Diebold safe

sierradmax,

The Diebold safe you have is model #4070 which is classified as a U.L. Insulated Record Container. This type of safe would have been used to store/protect records and documents from fire. Being a fire resistive safe and not a burglar safe, it did not carry a TL rating. The safe pictured was manufactured in 1977. Hope you find this information helpful.

Thanks,
    Nicole

Thread Information