Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chatwood Diamond

What a great thread, best free standing safe.
    Don't know if anyone has noticed there's a
    Chatwood Diamond for sale on e-bay. The seller is a well known Essex safe dealer.
    It looks like a heavy price for a heavy safe.

IANK

Hello IANK, not surprised they're still trying to sell it, I think they were asking around £24,000 or so a while back. Think it has been mentioned on here somewhere, probably over in the Ultimate Freestanding Safes thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello IANK, not surprised they're still trying to sell it, I think they were asking around £24,000 or so a while back. Think it has been mentioned on here somewhere, probably over in the Ultimate Freestanding Safes thread.
    But anyway that isn't Chatwood top safe.
    the Chatwood CB safe was made especially for a Scottish bank and weighs 2 or 3 times what the eBay one does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    But anyway that isn't Chatwood top safe.
    the Chatwood CB safe was made especially for a Scottish bank and weighs 2 or 3 times what the eBay one does.
    Yes Tom, I referenced their CB Quality safe when I first started the Ultimate Freestanding Safes thread in my very first post, and safeman has also mentioned it several times in addition to his 'Very Special Chatwood' thread.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 16-03-17 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Yes Tom, I referenced their CB Quality safe when I first started the Ultimate Freestanding Safes thread in my very first post, and safeman has also mentioned it several times in addition to his 'Very Special Chatwood' thread.
    Ah yes, but I thought maybe they had been missed by IANK

Default chatwood diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Ah yes, but I thought maybe they had been missed by IANK
    Many thanks guys,I have recently joined this forum and must have missed the previous comments on this. I'm amazed at the in depth knowledge you guys have on this subject.

Would like to ask, is there any truth in the rumor that the Royal Navy tended to have Milner safes, the Army Tanns and the Airforce tended to have Stephen Cox.

Every time I have been in a Naval establishment they seemed to have old Miners (often cemented into the fireplace position). Has anyone come across this?

IANK

I can speak only to the ones in army establishments. In my experience they had a whole array of makes, and some which bore absolutely no maker's name at all.

Regulations said that they should be anchored to the fabric of the building, ideally against an exterior wall. This usually took the form of being bricked into a pillar and the top being a slab of concrete.

These were graded according to various criteria as A, B or C although there were other classifications such as plate safes and sub standard plate safes. The main criteria, if memory serves, were did they have a fire resisting lining, were the bolts round (OK) or rectangilar (Bad, but if extremely heavy that was OK) the number of levers in the lock and was there an AED,

Were it possible to remove the safe, or the door, Central Ordnance Department, general trades branch, were able to upgrade the safe by changing the lock, generally to a CM Manifoil, or to add an AED.

I once had a very lovely Chatwood Duplex nightsafe which was classified as a sub standard plate safe as it had no lining. COD upgraded it to such an extent that it was superb. We didn't need the night safe facility so that was all welded up. In fact some time I really ought to start a new thread on that beauty. It had the old Chatwood dual control lock with key A and key B.

Once I was acting as a relief paymaster at a unit in the midlands. There there was an old 5' Ratner which had a non functioning Yale combination lock. If it had been my actual unit I would have had COD strip that out and replace it with a manifoil.

Default chatwood

Here is one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190420_154007_resized.2.jpg   20190420_154034_resized.2.jpg   20190420_152540_resized.jpg  
    Last edited by Antique safe collector; 27-04-19 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antique safe collector View Post
    Here is one
    Very nice, is it a jewellers? It's not a Diamond but it's in superb condition and still an impressive Chatwood. Is it yours?

Yes it's mine.
    What serie's is this one than?

Thread Information