Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, like me you can consider yourself very lucky to see one Gary, Thomas Fox didn't convert very many at all- barely into double figures, cost an absolute fortune and needless to say involved a lot of work- altering the key guides right through the door slabs to fit the Mersey keys vee-bits, all new glass plates to match plus re-wiring all the relockers etc. Plus they had all the micro-switches and additional electronics which was unheard of on G1A's back then.

Have to say hat off to you for making your Mersey tools extended extra long- now that's real forward thinking at work!
    99.99% of them, and that must be many hundreds of thousands, are on very thin doors and filing cabinet styles- which is of course what they were designed for. Even with glass plate protection the doors barely total more than an inch or so thickness, which is why Mersey keys are so short.
    Sounds like you got it sorted though if you ever see another on a G1A!

I always assumed that they were originally done like that, as they were very well done and looked original, not messed about with, but the one I have pictures of has a plate/details written inside for 1993, maybe when the adaption was done?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ministry mersey 003.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    I always assumed that they were originally done like that, as they were very well done and looked original, not messed about with, but the one I have pictures of has a plate/details written inside for 1993, maybe when the adaption was done?
    Hi Gary, the one I worked on was a 1992 John Tann size 4 (1629kg) so originally would have had the solid brass cased Tann 10-Lever with the reduced pin gauge keys configured with the bit pointing horizontal on the door- like this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	477.1 KB 
ID:	17401
    Your picture looks to be a final equipment inspectors mark which was usually just a thin adhesive plate or sticker with the crown stamps and date of inspection etc.

All the Proper ID makers stamps are heavily punched into the top centre edge of the boltcase, you have to remove the csk screws and swing the cover open to see them. Everything is there, date, batch, makers name etc all in heavy capitals. Doesn't matter if it's a 1967 Stratford with a Manifoil or a 1980 SLS with a keylock, they were all marked the same way in that location.

With the exception of some Chubb's and a few Tann's nearly all the makers names were abbreviated to initials, JT, SS, J&FP, RO etc. but whatever the age of the safe, late 1960's to 1990's, or size, maker etc you should be able to identify exactly who made it and when.

TBH I cut my teeth on these back in the 80s and 90s so can probably say I've battled with just about every conceivable lock-out and failure on most variations they made (except the Mersey one, that was thankfully only a door adjustment and service).

Ive got drawings for just about every pattern and layout they made although size 3s are pretty rare- not a popular size and not many made. If you want any specific detailed info then PM me the details and we can have a chat and I'll see what I can dig out for ya.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 24-03-17 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Found a Tann G1A key so added a photo

Cheers Huw, always nice to know, have opened a load of them over the years, but probably more picking than drilling. which maker was HF ltd stamping?

Ha, might have known you'd ask me that one! ROFN's another...

Long day out at the beach, I'll PM you this evening Gary

Back on the handmade keys, here's the stepped Bramah I made a while ago. It looks better now than when I first made it, got some contrast where it's tarnished in the grooves of the fluting.

Views:	19 
Size:	497.1 KB 
ID:	17408

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Back on the handmade keys, here's the stepped Bramah I made a while ago. It looks better now than when I first made it, got some contrast where it's tarnished in the grooves of the fluting.

Views:	19 
Size:	497.1 KB 
ID:	17408

Very nice key Huw. What type of lock(s) would the stepped Bramah go to?

Thanks BigTreeKeys, with regards to nested Bramah's I too would love to see a lock but it seems they're a bit of a mythical fantasy. I made the show-key with inspirations combined from a few different locks, notably this Bramah although the end is of course spiralled and not stepped.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	17409
    Houdini's legendary Mirror Handcuffs and the reproductions that the late Mick Hanzlik had made were also an influence, and also the Mappin's Patent locks which are true stepped versions.

I thought it'd be a bit of fun to make, and see what everyone else would think of it- not surprisingly oldlock knew straight away so I had to own up from the start that I'd made it myself!

There was a bit of discussion on the stepped keys in that original thread if you haven't seen it: http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...=Tiered+bramah

Thanks for the response and link to the original thread. I have a similar styled key (not a modern made one), and was hoping since you made this key that perhaps you had made it for a lock. I'd love to see an example of it in use, or know if it went to a single lock or even two locks.

As it happens I am working on a matching lock but it's still very early days with it yet, as for seeing or having an original that really would be something else.
    Your key definitely rings a bell, can definitely remember seeing one with wire bow and a knurled brass thumb-nut to withdraw the smaller tip in the end? An unusual and interesting curiosity if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Thread Information