Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can anyone tell me which is the correct key for this small yale padlock?

I have a small brass yale padlock that I would like to get a key for.
    A flat key fits the lock and I made a key out of copper sheet that will open the lock but would like to get a proper key if possible.
    The plug measures 0.40in diam (7.11mm) and the keyway is 0.28in long (10.16mm) and is wider at the bottom than at the top. see photos
    There are also the following letters and numbers on the bottom of the lock, U T 2385. Could these be a key code?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small yale1.jpg   small yale4.jpg  

Default Can anyone tell me which is the correct key for this small yale padlock?

I think I have seen that keyway before. Maybe trying looking for Hurd key 1125 blank. Was trying to fin one that even Yale has some other lock loo like the Hurd padlock. Could be wong.....Tmothy.....

Here's one should look like yours. This was from eBay. I don't know what the key blank number is for this key. I have tried to find the original blank but have not seen it any where...Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Vintage Yale US Pushkey PadLock Antique Push Key Lock W Key. ($17.50) a.jpg   Old Vintage Yale US Pushkey PadLock Antique Push Key Lock W Key. ($17.50) c.jpg  

Thanks Timothy, your help is very much appreciated.
    I looked up the 1125 blank and it looks like it may fit. I would never have thought to look for a padlock key blank in the automobile section of the catalogue under FORD.
    How did you find that lock on eBay? When I looked it did not come up in the search.
    Do you think that the numbers on the bottom are the key code?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Here's one should look like yours. This was from eBay. I don't know what the key blank number is for this key. I have tried to find the original blank but have not seen it any where...Timothy....
    I think is may be Old Yale 24-1/2 which crosses to the following per Blackhawk KBX:
    F8 Alba, 711 Old Yale, 6XA Keil, YL2 Lotus, 132 Dominion, 132 Taylor, 253 Stewart, 476A Niessen , H132 Dominion, H132 HD, YA5S CEA, YA 5D JMA, YA10 Star, YA20 Kis, Y 109 Curtis, Y109 Cole Nat'l, YE18 RR, 1132 Ilco, H1132 Ilco, YI4RD Errebi, YA14R Silca, 2603F Graham, YAL25L Orion, 24½E8R Yale

Pete Schifferli

If you look up Hurd in the Ilco Catalog should be there. You would be surprise there are some key in the automobile section will work on some padlock. The two picture of Yale padlock, I found that in eBay long time ago. I copy it in case I get one of that padlock. I think I have one of that key at home but don't where it at. The number on bottom should be the code number but keep this in mind some company will put there own code number on there padlock and key. I do it here at lock shop all the time so it make it easy to get the key make.
    Pete thank for information. Just wonder if you have picture of the key blank...???....Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Pete thank for information. Just wonder if you have picture of the key blank...???....Timothy....
    Timothy, see thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldYale24.5.jpg  

Thanks Pete but the profile of the keyway is different from the key that you have posted.
    The right side is perfectly straight while on the key that you have posted there appears to be a groove or slot. Also the top of the lower part on the left side that juts out appears to be rounded where yours appears to be a right angle.

timothy,your 1125 works well,it is a 5 pin,also the m3 from masterlock,5pin to. if cut to 4 pin length both are real close at the shoulder stop.
    but neither is the original. the j997m also works,but it is 6 pin,but none are original,they do work .

Default Yale key blank ID

The key shown with the padlock the keyway Section is not dissimilar from the old 02 and 01 range of laminated padlocks made by Henry Squire who I think is long gone from Willenhall I remember cutting keys to those Squire Padlock from code key we kept as code was easily works out by the number of the Padlock

Thread Information