Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    0997E blank would work,a 4 pin cut on a 6 pin blank
    z=j or 10 series codes
    Cuts 7674 on 0997E Ilco or equivalent. Interestingly, the old Reed Padlock Cook Book, pg. 02-Y136; notes that it is a 4-pin code used on a 6-pin blank (12-1/2) with the first two spaces left un-cut! This explains the apparent discrepancy in the catalog description of this padlock which I noted earlier. Thus spaces used are 3=.430, 4=.570, 5=.710 & 6=.850 while depths are 4=.196, 6=.160, 7=.142 per Blackhawk Codes on Line.

Pete Schifferli
    Last edited by Pschiffe; 07-03-17 at 04:24 AM.

thank you Pete, your exactly right

Default How to identify replacement key blanks for old padlocks

You are asking about how to identifying which key blank to use for any padlock. Like I said before you will need key blank catalog to find any key to match the keyway on the padlock. Another word looking at the padlock keyway and than look in the key blank catalog to find the right key. This take time to do it.
    I just found out I have both 726 and 724 Yale padlock. Both of them was cut by code. The 726 padlock does use Y1 or 999 blank.....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale 726 & 724 Padlock. m3.jpg   Yale 726 & 724 Padlock. m2.jpg   Yale 726 & 724 Padlock. m7.jpg   Yale 726 & 724 Padlock. m6.jpg  

Thanks for the reply Timothy.
    So do you just take the lock and code to a locksmith to get the keys cut to code?

take the lock to a locksmith and he will do the rest,
    the 726 padlocks are 4 pin cut on the 6 pin blank,next size up from your 724

NO! I'm locksmith and I cut all my padlock, Impression and sometime make my own key blank to fit the padlock. I'm sure you see some of forum here that I put in that I did make some of them making my own key. There one in padlock forum with Eagle Padlock awhile ago. Keep this in mind there are a lot of locksmith here that do make there own key. Not sure if you have heard of Lauren has he does have a lot of key make on his own and I think he has two book out about how he make his key.....Timothy.....

if the man needs help cutting a key,see a locksmith or why not you ?
    i really did not understand your NO,my apology

Candado3 has ask me "IF" I take the key to locksmith to get key cut that why I said "NO" and explain to him of what I'm. Really not sure if he was talking about me or all. Yes he should take the padlock to locksmith "IF" he not a locksmith. Keep this in mind that I do know there are some that are locksmith and safe work. While other are not. NO I'm not trying to be rude or mean or whatever other....Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    take the lock to a locksmith and he will do the rest,
    the 726 padlocks are 4 pin cut on the 6 pin blank,next size up from your 724
    I can help with that key, PM me if interested.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information