Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Logos on Old Yale padlocks

I am fairly new to collecting old padlocks and am quite fascinated by the quality of the work that went into these old gems.
    Does anyone know where I can find sources for the dates that different logos were used on YALE or other american made (corbin, eagle, sargent etc) older padlocks but esp Yale?
    I have seen the odd mention here and there when identifying a padlock but not a consolidated list with photos.
    Is there such a thing?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    I am fairly new to collecting old padlocks and am quite fascinated by the quality of the work that went into these old gems.
    Does anyone know where I can find sources for the dates that different logos were used on YALE or other american made (corbin, eagle, sargent etc) older padlocks but esp Yale?
    I have seen the odd mention here and there when identifying a padlock but not a consolidated list with photos.
    Is there such a thing?
    I believe I've posted this previously but could not find it in a search. In any event, the late Thomas F. Hennessy in his Historical Research Series #19 of May, 1987 showed the trademark designs and years said to have been used by various American lockmakers, see thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HistoricalResearchSeries#19trademarkDesigns.jpg  

Exclamation

Is there such a thing?
    Years ago Yale kept a list of their cast customer logo's. Sadly that list was destroyed when they stopped offering the cast logo's. Of course if it hadn't been destroyed it still wouldn't be available from them anyway.
    BBE.

Thanks Pete that's the kind of thing that I am looking for but maybe a bit more in depth.

I was at a garage sale on the weekend and got some old "Locksmith Ledger" from the late 70's early 80's. Found the following about Yale logos in the July 1981 issue. See photos of the two pages in case anyone is interested
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yale logo1.jpg   yale logo2.jpg  

I was at a garage sale on the weekend and got some old "Locksmith Ledger" from the late 70's early 80's. Found the following about Yale logos in the July 1981 issue. See photos of the two pages in case anyone is interested
    Good information, thanks. To continue the chronology from Locksmith Ledger, in 1979 Eaton sold to Scoville Mfg. Co. and it then became the Yale Security Products Div. of Scoville. In 1986 they were sold to Valor PLC of England and then in 1992 were acquired by another British company, Williams Holdings. In August, 2000 Yale was purchased by the ASSA ABLOY Group, a multi-national conglomerate including over 100 brands including Arrow, Corbin Russwin, Emtek, McKinney, Mul-T-Lock, Norton, Pemko, Rixson, Rockwood, Sargent, Yale and others in the USA.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks for the added information Pete

Thread Information