Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Rim Lock query

Smile Rim Lock query

Hello all, I too would like some help please. I have tried my best (via Google and Youtube mostly) but still have an unanswered question.

I have moved in to a new home and would like to refurb the various Edwardian (I think) rim locks. None of them work properly. I have removed them and taken a look inside, unfortunately most of the insides seem to have been removed previously. I have established how the leaf spring worked and have managed to order replacements however try as I might I can find no information as to how the thumb latch worked? Currently they are all rattling around loose in the body of the lock!

Could anyone please give me an idea how I can order/make/source replacement parts so I can restore the thumb latch to working order? I am a keen DIY'er but have know prior knowledge of rim locks.

Attached are a few snaps of one of the locks and the case I managed to clean up.

Many thanks
    Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3228.JPG   IMG_3229.JPG   image1(2).JPG  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Hello Lee and welcome, they are very nice latches and you've done a nice job on the case.

Have you tried all the salvage companies as they're probably the best chance of finding similar that you could swap over parts from.

You'll need to be a lot more specific when you say most of the insides have been removed and that some are rattling around- need to establish what parts are intact, what is missing, what you want to make etc.

Hopefully members can then make some suggestions for you, some clear close-up pictures of the insides will probably be essential, especially when it comes to identifying missing parts or making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello Lee and welcome, they are very nice latches and you've done a nice job on the case.

Have you tried all the salvage companies as they're probably the best chance of finding similar that you could swap over parts from.

You'll need to be a lot more specific when you say most of the insides have been removed and that some are rattling around- need to establish what parts are intact, what is missing, what you want to make etc.

Hopefully members can then make some suggestions for you, some clear close-up pictures of the insides will probably be essential, especially when it comes to identifying missing parts or making them.
    Hello Huw, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thanks for the tips. I had looked at similar locks online and I'm sure I could purchase something similar but it would be quite expensive to replace them all or buy them just to use for parts. Especially as I have 95% of the lock already.

I didnt expect figuring out how the thumb latch worked would be so tricky especially with the world wide web at my disposal I can find numerous videos of people refurbing rim locks online but none that tackle the thumb latch.

Only two of my locks (from a possible four) had a spring inside and none of them had anything in relation to the thumb latch except the latch itself.

I've attached a few additional pictures. Once again thanks for your time its much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image2.JPG   IMG_3224.JPG  

I think you will find that the thumb slides need a spring which provides friction against the cap (back) of the lock. Other than that, I think you have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I think you will find that the thumb slides need a spring which provides friction against the cap (back) of the lock. Othe rthan that, I think you have everything.
    Thanks for the reply Tom, good to know I have the majority of bits unfortunately I'm still none the wiser as to how I can source one or what it looks like!

I'll keep digging (although to be fair I'll probably give up soon! Didnt realise it would be such a pain!)

Thanks for your time
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tom, good to know I have the majority of bits unfortunately I'm still none the wiser as to how I can source one or what it looks like!

I'll keep digging (although to be fair I'll probably give up soon! Didnt realise it would be such a pain!)

Thanks for your time
    Lee
    a slightly c shaped but fairly flat wide spring with a hole drilled in the middle to fit over the lug on the back of the thumb slide

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Also if you look carefully you should hopefully see shiny marks in that area where the old original one was rubbing, that can be useful as it gives an idea of the size and shape from the points of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    a slightly c shaped but fairly flat wide spring with a hole drilled in the middle to fit over the lug on the back of the thumb slide
    Thanks Tom, great I can almost picture it. I had presumed there must be some kind of 'runner' to keep it in place but maybe not. All ive got to do now is try and source a few.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Also if you look carefully you should hopefully see shiny marks in that area where the old original one was rubbing, that can be useful as it gives an idea of the size and shape from the points of contact.
    Actually Huw, now you mention it I think I can see slight marks as to where the latch has been sliding

Thanks

Thread Information