Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hello, all! new guy here.....

Hello!
    I'm Andy in Buffalo N.Y.. I'm a collector of antiquated technology - radios, (crank) phonographs, clocks, automotive, etc. I never thought much about locks, though - all the ones I've found in my "hunts", tossed to the side if there was no key to be found. The silly little lock I'm here to ask about actually has changed that. I have run into so much interesting information regarding locks in general while researching, there may be another collection coming - (However, I think my wife may just fill a pillowcase with them and beat me to death while I sleep one night) ! What brought me here is a Yale brass warded lock that was attached to an antique homemade beadboard trunk I got from an estate I was helping clean out. The hasp was long gone, but the lock was still screwed to the trunk and hanging by it's chain. Can anyone tell me anything about this lock? How old is it? I found the pictured key in a junk box with a bunch of other keys elsewhere in the house. It fits the lock, but only turns so far then stops, and you can feel the shackle move, but it won't open. Can these locks be picked and have keys made for them? I'd love to keep it with the trunk and usable, if possible ( more for aesthetics than function), I have a nice grungy replacement hasp already...
    Thanks in advance for your time and help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05852.JPG   DSC05857.JPG   DSC05861.JPG  

Default Yale padlock

I believe what you have here is a brass 6 lever padlock. Trying to post a picture of a similar key for a reference of cuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Default Yale lock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	17085
    Quote Originally Posted by 00035skip View Post
    I believe what you have here is a brass 6 lever padlock. Trying to post a picture of a similar key for a reference of cuts.

Looks much like old Yale 950 (1-3/4"), 650 (2") or 450 (2-1/2") depending upon size. These had four lever tumblers and were found in Yale Catalog No. 26 (c) 1929 on pgs. 26-27, see thumbnails attached. I tried to upload them as PDFs but the files were apparently too large. That Yale trademark was said to be in use from 1910-1959.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaleCat26Pg27.jpg   YaleCat26Pg26.jpg  

Default Thank You!

Thank you for the information! This would be the 2" 650. My next question would be - can a key be made for this ? If so, could someone give me a ballpark price? I would love to have it done, and I am not real concerned with it costing more than the lock is worth unless we're talking hundreds of dollars....

Default Key?

Is there anyone out there that can make a key for this? Would it cost a small fortune? I would love to have it working.
    Thanks!

Default Hello, all! new guy here.....

You may have to shop around in your area to find a locksmith that can impression a key for your lock. Be sure that any locksmith maybe like some old timer locksmith knows how to do this kind of work. The price may be different from most locksmiths as some charge by the hour or by the work.....Timothy....

Thread Information