Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Almost done...

It doesn't look much different but quite a few days work has finally got the channel between the inner and outer rings a lot deeper.
    If you've ever tried turning the 'face grooving' method youll know it's not the easiest or nicest of turning processes. You pretty much have to make your own cutting tools unique to the job to start with, as they are width, depth and radius specific and those commercially available cost an absolute fortune. Rake and relief angles are critical so a lot of time spent experimenting, wet-grinding HSS blocks, testing and fine honing to fit. It was worth doing though, it's added that extra depth and shadow like on the full size doors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	17525 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	17526 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	17527 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	17528
    Also tapered the brass spokes on the capstan handle for more realistic shape. They need to age again now and take on that nice gold colour like the nuts on the back of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Here's my latest, started this one back in the 1990s and tbh it would probably have been quicker to totally start again- rust was so bad I ended up spending just as long re-skimming the door and re-making a lot of the smaller parts. It's still nowhere near finished but at least it's now finally at a stage that's worth some photos.
    Attachment 17072 Attachment 17073
    Loads taken throughout the various stages which I'll try and add over the next week or so.

Door is fully working with geared rod-driven boltwork, also working on a tiny Lever safe lock to make it key-locking. It will eventually have a fully geared pressure mechanism (3-bars, 120 degree spacing) with scale 6-spoke Chatwood style hand wheels, but all that's way off for now...
    Unbelievable, it would actually be an honour to touch such workmanship . You can call it extremely nice engineering if you like, but I would much rather call it "art". It should certainly be in a museum (Or my collection). If I could afford it I would offer to buy it Huw , but how do you put a price on a piece of life's work! You certainly should sign it somehow when it's finished. Outstanding Huw....outstanding.

Thread Information