Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Help/advice? What to do with Herring & Co door

This door was in my great-grandfather's store. He started his business in late 1800's, but I have no idea when door was installed. The building was torn down in 1970's and the door was removed.

I am moving to a very small house and can no longer keep the door, but I don't know what to do with it. It doesn't seem like junk to me. Do you have any advice on how I can give it a good home?

Thank you in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0758.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	17044

Hello and welcome Allisonweiss,
    it will help other members to know approximate location, and also a bit more detail on the door- is it complete and fully working with the frame, or loose, working but without frame, non working etc.

PS- it looks to be in amazing original condition. Love the lake and mountain scene and also the hinges, they are very distinctive and ornate.

Default Location and condition

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello and welcome Allisonweiss,
    it will help other members to know approximate location, and also a bit more detail on the door- is it complete and fully working with the frame, or loose, working but without frame, non working etc.

PS- it looks to be in amazing original condition. Love the lake and mountain scene and also the hinges, they are very distinctive and ornate.
    Thank you for the help!
    The door is loose and I don't think it is in working condition (I am not a good judge though). It was framed into drywall in my mother's home for many years as a decoration.

Located in Denver, Co

If you were nearer to Wi, I'd be all over that. :(
    I would think if you listed it on craigslist for $500 someone would jump on it. More if you had the frame.
    I think all of us would like to see a pic of the back and the lockwork though.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    If you were nearer to Wi, I'd be all over that. :(
    I would think if you listed it on craigslist for $500 someone would jump on it. More if you had the frame.
    I think all of us would like to see a pic of the back and the lockwork though.
    Thank you! I have already moved to new house a couple hours away. I'm heading to Denver in a couple of days and will take more pictures. I will try to post on Wednesday. I have until May 31 then new people move in.

Thanks again for for your help!

Default Help/advice? What to do with Herring & Co door

That will be nice to have but no room to put it. If can't sell it just hoping the new people would keep it. Who know maybe get it all fix up so they can use it....Timothy....

Default Herrington and Co pics of back and lock

Quote Originally Posted by Allisonweiss View Post
    This door was in my great-grandfather's store. He started his business in late 1800's, but I have no idea when door was installed. The building was torn down in 1970's and the door was removed.

I am moving to a very small house and can no longer keep the door, but I don't know what to do with it. It doesn't seem like junk to me. Do you have any advice on how I can give it a good home?

Thank you in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0758.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	17044
    Thanks to everyone so far! Here are pics of the back of the door. I'm told there would be an arm of some sort missing? Yes, that is how clueless I am :) I mainly want this thing that looks like art to go to someone who would have a care for it. I'm not interested in any kind of a price. I can tell this is a passionate community and that's what Im looking for.

I hope it finds a good home---otherwise I'm listing a couple other non-lock things on craigslist and it may end up there or just disposed.

Thanks again in advance for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0768.jpg   IMG_0769.jpg   IMG_0767.JPG  

Hey there :)

I'm told there would be an arm of some sort missing?
    That was a good one The whole boltwork is missing

But there are people who can reconstruct such bolt works or, and that to me is the better alternative, just put the front of the door on display - it is really nice looking. The weight of the door looks to me like 200 - 250 kg, so it is not that heavy for transport I guess.

Best regards from Germany

Maik

Yes, aside from the lock case and handle, it appears to be gutted. Still a really nice piece with beautiful artwork. Please don't dispose of it!!!!
    If it comes down to that I might pay to have it shipped. No one with a truck planning a road trip to Wisconsin is there?

I would agree with the concensus. It is a beautiful piece as a decoration. As an actual strongroom door it is valueless. The cost of making bolt work, replacing the lock and fitting it to a frame would be far more than the cost of a more modern, more secure door.

Please don't scrap it. It really is lovely.

Thread Information