Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Does anyone have any information on this 18k Gold Bramah Cross key?

Hi there

I recently acquired this particularly unusual Bramah key in the shape of a cross. I took it to a local jeweller who said it tested (electronically, not using an acid test) as 18k gold.

It is unhallmarked, and I was wondering if anyone knew any information regarding this key (i.e.. dates, purpose of manufacture, rarity etc)?

Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled23.jpg   Untitled22.jpg   Untitled8.jpg   Untitled9.jpg  

There are other threads on the site about such keys. In brief gold keys were an option from Bramah and Chubb etc. Keys such as yours were most commonly used for jewel cases, writing boxes etc.

They are not common, but not super rare either. I've probably seen 20 or so of different patterns in the past decade.

Tabernacle key.

DH

While Bramah locks may well have been fitted for Tabernacles such keys were not produced specifically for that purpose.

As posted most commonly it would have been for a jewel case - but such keys have been found with locks of many varieties.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-11 08.49.35.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	16978

Wow!!! Where did this image come from, that is an amazing find!
    From this image, are you able to date the key at all?

That image is from a catalogue that would have been issued between 1926 - 1934.

There are a further 10 varieties in the catalogue with keys built into lockets, rings, bracelets etc.

I'm sure the keys would have been in production for some time before that, but doubt they were offered after WWII.

In the absence of a lock serial number there is no way to date more accurately as the keys are not (as you have observed) hallmarked.

Those gold Bramah's are amazing, no half measures again lorddlm2! Still haven't recovered fully from the engraved Hobb's locks you posted a while back..

Would love to see some of those gold keys, seen some amazing locket and ring variations online but can't remember seeing one in the metal. What amazed me is the widespread lack of hallmarks on them, as I'm sure you will know our British Hall marking system has always been one of the strictest in the world.
    It seems though that there were some more relaxed periods in the past where certain goods were permissible without, or even exempt completely.

It might be worth having a few tests done as most of them that crop up for sale strangely seem to be offered as 15ct which I would have thought an odd alloy in Britain.
    Also I vaguely recall the ruling changing and think it now extends further back to about 1920 or so, provided there's proof of gold content and the age of the item etc. Anyway beautiful key and apologies for rambling on...

oldlock, didn't you have quite a few of these going back? I recall reading some good posts you'd made on here regarding the different gold versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Those gold Bramah's are amazing, no half measures again lorddlm2! Still haven't recovered fully from the engraved Hobb's locks you posted a while back..

Would love to see some of those gold keys, seen some amazing locket and ring variations online but can't remember seeing one in the metal. What amazed me is the widespread lack of hallmarks on them, as I'm sure you will know our British Hall marking system has always been one of the strictest in the world.
    It seems though that there were some more relaxed periods in the past where certain goods were permissible without, or even exempt completely.

It might be worth having a few tests done as most of them that crop up for sale strangely seem to be offered as 15ct which I would have thought an odd alloy in Britain.
    Also I vaguely recall the ruling changing and think it now extends further back to about 1920 or so, provided there's proof of gold content and the age of the item etc. Anyway beautiful key and apologies for rambling on...

oldlock, didn't you have quite a few of these going back? I recall reading some good posts you'd made on here regarding the different gold versions.
    0.625 gold 15ct was more popular in the colonies but was not uncommon in Britain before 1932
    It is not obligatory to hallmark gold but it obviously helps you to sell it. Bramah probably thought it detracted from the beauty and simplicity of the item - when people were willing anyway to trust them when they said that it was gold.

Default oldlock

Hello oldlock, would you be kind enough as to send me a picture of the other ten variants of the gold Bramah keys in your catalogue? I really appreciate it!

Best wishes,
    Serin

Thread Information