Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Legge Rim Cylinder for Night Latches

I didn't know I had this cylinder as looking at the key its marked 'Made in England'. Also it has PAT. NO 630057. I looked up the PAT. NO. and that's how I found out it's Legge CO. This is first time seeing PAT. NO. on cylinder. Date 08-11-1947. Company open in 1881 under name J. Legge CO. As far as the key blank, I'm still looking for it and I'm sure most would agree it looks close to a Yale key. Trying to get information on blanks from England. Have not come up with anything yet....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Legge Company Pat NO. 630057 Lock England 1.jpg   Legge Company Pat NO. 630057 Lock England 3.jpg   Legge Company Pat NO. 630057 Lock England 4.jpg   Legge Company Pat NO. 630057 Lock England 2.jpg   Legge Company Pat NO. 630057 Lock England 5.jpg  

Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 16-02-17 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I didn't know I had this cylinder as looking at the key its marked 'Made in England'. Also it has PAT. NO 630057. I looked up the PAT. NO. and that's how I found out it's Legge CO. This is first time seeing PAT. NO. on cylinder. Date 08-11-1947. Company open in 1881 under name J. Legge CO. As far as the key blank, I'm still looking for it and I'm sure most would agree it looks close to a Yale key. Trying to get information on blanks from England. Have not come up with anything yet....Timothy.....
    The blank is common enough over here- but you already have one -what is the problem?
    They originally came with a variety of stampings including "Willen" and a three legged logo similar to the isle of man logo

Default Legge Rim Cylinder

Tom was no problem. Just hoping maybe someone has picture of original key from Legge. I'm sure someone may have catalog of this key blank. As we don't see very many antique key blank from England. ...Timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by ltgbk View Post
    Tom was no problem. Just hoping maybe someone has picture of original key from Legge. I'm sure someone may have catalog of this key blank. As we don't see very many antique key blank from England. ...Timothy.
    Over here we wouldn't call Legge stuff antique but here are some newer and older ones
    regards
    Tom

Default antique -- meaning?

British law has no legal definition of antique. Board of Trade (as was), Customs & Excise, and Home Office guidance to police, long ago settled on '100 years' for most things (there are detail differences for firearms).

With Yale patent monopoly protection expired, the first UK company to make copies of the Yale pin tumbler cylinder was Kenrick in 1908. Legge contemplated production in 1936, but apparently did not start until after WW2. Whether commercial production actually started before 1950 is uncertain. Jim Evans, sometime MD of the key-making company Arthur Hough, had reason to think it did not.

There were over a dozen companies making copies of the Yale cylinder and locks in Britain. They agreed to make them compatible. This was not the case with several rival cylinder locking devices, several of which were lever mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    British law has no legal definition of antique. Board of Trade (as was), Customs & Excise, and Home Office guidance to police, long ago settled on '100 years' for most things (there are detail differences for firearms).

With Yale patent monopoly protection expired, the first UK company to make copies of the Yale pin tumbler cylinder was Kenrick in 1908. Legge contemplated production in 1936, but apparently did not start until after WW2. Whether commercial production actually started before 1950 is uncertain. Jim Evans, sometime MD of the key-making company Arthur Hough, had reason to think it did not.

There were over a dozen companies making copies of the Yale cylinder and locks in Britain. They agreed to make them compatible. This was not the case with several rival cylinder locking devices, several of which were lever mechanisms.
    those "several rivals" were Chubb, Wellington and anyone else?

Chubb made 2 cylinder locks; a lever one, and some sort of detainer possibly like a wafer tumbler — I've never had my hands on one.
    Gibbons, and Hobbs, also made lever cylinders.
    The Kieft pin tumbler cylinder had pins in a line across the plug face.

Default Legge cylinder keys

These are the only Legge cylinder keys I can find today — all probably made by/for Willen Key Co. 1960's.
    The Legge trademark treskelion is stamped indistinctly on one of these keys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Legge_Willen keys c196- a.jpg   Legge_Willen keys c196- b.jpg  

er ... I see I didn't put keys in same order for both pics - sorry.

Default Hobbs lever cylinder latch

Not mine, and I've not seen inside one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hobbs sharp New Century 5leversmall key rimlatch box.jpg  

Thread Information