Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to identify replacement key blanks for old padlocks

I have started to collect old padlocks and as many as is often the case, do not have keys. I thought I would try to make new keys for some of them or have keys made if the task is beyond my capabilities.

The problem that I am having and am trying to solve is that when I look up a padlock in an old catalogue they give a key number for a particular lock but that number is now outdated. So the question is how does one identify a new replacement key blank for that padlock from the old number?

As an example, I have an old YALE padlock #724 and in the catalogue #26 page 57 of the pdf it gives the #12 1/2 as the list number for that padlock.
    So, my question is how can I find a new replacement key blank for this lock if one exists?
    This is a general question and refers to other lock makers also.

Thanks for any insight into this pursuit.

Default How to identify replacement key blank for old padlocks?

There are many key blank catalogues. Ilco have lot of key blanks for just about any padlock, but some they don't make anymore. Sometimes you will find them on eBay, or you can check some old lock shops as they may have them. I'm sure there are others on here who will give you more answers...Timothy.....

Default How to identify replacement key blank for old padlocks?

Forgot to add- I think u looking for a 999 Yale blank.

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    As an example, I have an old YALE padlock #724 and in the catalogue #26 page 57 of the pdf it gives the #12 1/2 as the list number for that padlock.
    So, my question is how can I find a new replacement key blank for this lock if one exists?
    This is a general question and refers to other lock makers also.
    Thanks for any insight into this pursuit.
    Yale changed the nomenclature for their key blanks some years ago. They have a series of blanks for their cylinder locks with .40" dia. key plugs used mostly on cabinet locks and padlocks, but no longer extant although the blanks are still offered. Current lock production, like most manufacturers; have .51" dia. plugs. The obsolete numbering system, which used fractions; denoted the length of the key expressed by the number of pins in the cylinder as:
    • 3-pin = 19-1/2
    • 4-pin = 10-1/2
    • 5-pin = 13-1/2
    • 6-pin = 12-1/2

The "new" designations for those same keys are as follows:
    • 3-pin = RN19
    • 4-pin = RN10
    • 5-pin = RN13
    • 6-pin = RN12

Thus the OEM Yale blank for your padlock should be RN12. BTW this is found on pg. 5 of Yale Catalog. No. 26 (c)1929 and has an apparent error. The description says it is four-pin tumbler but uses No. 12-1/2 keys. As noted above, 4-pin = 10-1/2 while 12-1/2 denotes 6-pin.

Many professional locksmiths use an on-line key blank cross reference program from Blackhawk Products called KBX which lists over 85,000 blanks. If I enter 12-1/2 it will give me a hundred or more keys from various manufacturers which can substitute for the OEM Yale blank. Note that any of the longer blanks can be cut down to provide the shorter version, thus 12-1/2 could be made into 13-1/2, 10-1/2 or 19-1/2. For subscription info on KBX, which is $20/yr; go here:
    http://www.lockcodes.com/

I guess it would be up to the discretion of Blackhawk if they would allow non security professionals access to the program. If you Google "key blank cross reference" (without the quote) you will find some free listings that might help.

Pete Schifferli

Correction to below post...(unable to edit it)
    The 3-pin version is 20-1/2 or RN20. The most common Ilco equivalent for 12-1/2 is 0997E/Y54, for 10-1/2 it would be 997EB/Y5. There are also numerous others. Sorry for the confusion.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks for the replies.

I have an old ILCO 997x that fits into the keyway.
    Would a 997x blank work for this lock?
    On one site that sells blanks, when I enter Yale RN10 I get nothing found.
    When I entered RN10 the site gave me the ILCO HV61 as the blank to use for this lock. Would this be correct?
    I'm new to this and trying to learn but it's quite bewildering at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I have an old ILCO 997x that fits into the keyway.
    Would a 997x blank work for this lock?
    On one site that sells blanks, when I enter Yale RN10 I get nothing found.
    When I entered RN10 the site gave me the ILCO HV61 as the blank to use for this lock. Would this be correct?
    I'm new to this and trying to learn but it's quite bewildering at this point.
    Yes, 997X/Y6 is indeed one of many blanks that will fit; it is 4-pin and has a slightly longer shank than 997EB/Y5 but is otherwise the same. HV61 is for a Renault auto and has a similar section, but is not listed as a substitution in KBX. BTW you can easily determine the number of pins by probing in the keyway with a small pick or paper clip, presuming the pins are free; lubrication will help if they are not.

Pete Schifferli

Default How to identify replacement key blanks for old padlocks

Here information on your 726 padlock. I have one of them not sure if it 724 or 726. Note there may be number stamp on bottom of the keyway that may be the key cut for your padlock otherwise only if have code number on it may have to look up the code to get key cut....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale Model 726 Padlock.jpg   Yale Model 726 Padlock.jpg  

Thanks Timothy, I have a pdf copy of the catalogue.
    Yes there is a number on the keyway Z387.

From my OP I was using this lock as an example.
    I was asking more of a general question as to how to go about identifying which key blank to use for any padlock that I might have or might acquire in the future.

To take it a step further how does one tell which padlock a key blank that is sold on eBay might fit? So, a sort of reverse identification.

0997E blank would work,a 4 pin cut on a 6 pin blank
    z=j or 10 series codes

Thread Information