Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Suspicious Yale Padlock - "Cameo Medallion"

While browsing eBay I happened across the Yale lock shown below. My first impression was that the cameo medallion in the center is some kind of owner modification and not an original part of the lock. I certainly do not qualify as any kind of expert in Yale padlock history, but I have seen a LOT of older Yales and I've never seen a medallion formed into the circle where the Yale logo should appear. Just on marketing and branding rules alone, I have a very hard time believing Yale would ever give up the Prime real estate where its logo always appeared. Sometimes special production runs for very large customers (e.g. US Forestry) would have custom casting in this area but that was rare

But before I totally dismiss this creation, I thought maybe I should just run it past you folks here in case I've read this wrong. Also a bit odd, the seller posted 12 images but none - showed the back side of this lock. Back of the shackle yes, but not of the lock body. That always makes me wonder what I'm not supposed to be looking at. Could be completely innocent and I could have probably forgiven that but then I noticed he also posted pictures of 4 Yale keys that are completely unrelated to the lock and don't actually open the lock. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. The keys appear to be for a pin tumbler lock while (I believe) the lock shown is a double sided lever lock. Posting your "NO KEY" lock with a set of unrelated keys is done simply to generate interest by people who don't read closely. I'm a bit of a stickler about this on eBay these days (once burned, twice wiser). If you post pics of keys with your locks then I want to see at least one pic showing the key inserted in to the lock and the shackle opened. This led Tim's 8th rule of buying on eBay: No pic, no bid, no exceptions.

Anyway, what do you folks think, is this simply an owner modification made sometime after the lock sold, or have I made a horrible error in judgement and am looking at an ultra rare Yale limited production lock? While I'm getting better at identifying the fakes, the reproductions, post sale mods, fantasy locks and other such stuff, I do get it wrong on occasion. Thanks. Tim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yale-medal.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	16733

The seller acknowledges that the medallion could have been a later modification to the lock.

Original eBay source link: http://tinyurl.com/Yale-Medallion

Default Suspicious Yale Padlock - "Cameo Medallion"

I saw it too as you will notice on the last two picture did show the other side. oth sid have an cameo medallion in the center. The key it not the right one for this lock as this padlock use flat key. ..Timothy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANTIQUE Vintage HUGE  YALE & TOWNE  BRASS PADLOCK  4 YALE KEYS {$15.00} 5.jpg   ANTIQUE Vintage HUGE  YALE & TOWNE  BRASS PADLOCK  4 YALE KEYS {$15.00} 12.jpg  

Good eye Timothy! I too missed the fact both sides of the lock were shown. It was the lack of any nicks and scratches on the medallion, while the lock has a nice and even distribution of them, that stopped me from having any further interest.

Think he nailed it. Added much later. Not original.

Thanks, missed the backside pictures too. Also did not notice scratch distribution until you pointed it out. It is an interesting modification. I wonder if someone just found a medallion that happened to fit or if it was more planned/deliberate. I'm also curious if there is a Y&T trefoil logo under the medallion.

Default Suspicious Yale Padlock "Cameo Medallion"

I saw those locks also.. someone with a creative instinct I would guess.. Actually gave me an idea. I have a couple of warded old Yale "fat boys"
    that the sides are dented in making them worthless.. I am now searching hobby shops for something to fill in the void on these & give them as gifts to friends... thought about using foreign coins...........all puritans, I beg your forgiveness.............. Donnie

Thread Information