Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Offset combination locks

Whilst reading the thread about remote combinations I was reminded of the combination locks that used to be fitted which were not immediately behind the wheel. They were offset above, below, left or right and there was no way of knowing where the lock was. One thing you could guarantee was that the glass plate would be exactly where you didn't want it!

When you say 'not immediately behind the wheel' i'm guessing you're referring to the dial, if so that'll be direct drive and indirect drive comb locks.

Just realised my post probably doesn't make much sense as it reads, direct drive is of course dial spindle straight to the locks drive cam/wheel pack, indirect drive where the lock is offset and the drive cam/wheel pack indirectly driven via gear train.

Maik, it is not clear what your concern is, excessive play in the gearing or hard dialing due to the gear train? Either way I would first focus on making the gearing as smooth and free as possible, then worry about dialing losses. Increasing the drive pin size can be easily enlarged a bit with a fine chisel cut to spread the metal. Or metal added by soldering.
    Last edited by Doug MacQueen; 15-02-17 at 01:37 AM.

Hey Doug,

my concern is that the spindles have some weight, and in addition you have the gears and all that. So when I turn the dial on say the Cleveland door, I have to rotate several meters of spindle ways and gears. So some force is needed. And my question is just, how that is managed in a realistic way for the user. Of course good bearings and all that is a good start, but the precision for the parts is another story. Maybe now it is clear what I mean :)

Best regards

Maik

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	17001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	17002

Hello there!

Kromer manufactured such gear plates and I am also interested in those. In Remote viewers I think this is done on a very different scale, since the locks are at totally different positions than the remote viewer. Sometimes the locks are located near the floor. How did they manage to get the precision required for dialing when you have some gear in the way that will give you a bit of a shift, so that you dont hit the number on the dial you wanted to.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Maik

Very nice Tom I bet they're heck of a weight

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Very nice Tom I bet they're heck of a weight
    I had to remove the floor and put in concrete in my office to take the weight of the safes -you are always welcome to escape down the M5 and have a look
    Cheers
    Tom

Cheers Tom, a grand tour is on the to do list will get around to it eventually and will let you know cheers

Thread Information