Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2131.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	577.7 KB 
ID:	16939

The dimensions are exactly as stated in the catalogue and one key is hollow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2133.JPG   IMG_2132.JPG  

That is to stop you trying to use the wrong key. They simply won't fit! Often when a second keylock has been added afterwards you don't get that feature but it sounds as if yours is original. That is partly why I asked about you having seen inside the back of the door. Often a later addition second lock has no hardened plate but yours should have hardened plates over both locks.

You can check the weight from the figures struck into the top of the door, if they are there. They used to be on most Chubbs of that age. You don't really need to as you have the figure from the catalogue now.

Default Safe value

Thanks all that's have helped with the identification of this safe. I'm truly thankful as my limited technological abilities were leading me nowhere fast... I actually plan now to take the safe home. If I were to insure it, how would I go go about getting it formally valued? I live in Western Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by grantharg View Post
    Thanks all that's have helped with the identification of this safe. I'm truly thankful as my limited technological abilities were leading me nowhere fast... I actually plan now to take the safe home. If I were to insure it, how would I go go about getting it formally valued? I live in Western Australia.
    Old safes such as this generally are not worth very much (if anything). The reasons being :

Collectors - there are'nt many (if any) people who 'collect' safes. And those that do look for examples of special technical interest. Yours while nice is not really 'special'.
    Relocation - the relocation costs of such a safe will be considerable. As such if it's on your way and you want rid of it you may get it taken away for nothing or could have to pay someone to do it for you.
    Use - while I maintain that such a safe is going to be better than many low grade new units sold today many insurance companies disagree and as such it greatly limits the available market for such a safe and accordingly the price it will command.

So - it's going to be worth what someone will pay - there is no way of getting a formal valuation that will have any meaningful purpose IMO.

I imagine that it would be covered in a general insurance policy as an item of office furniture/equipment.

A separate question is insuring the contents. Some general policies cover a small amount of cash provided it is kept in a safe. Often no type of safe is specified for these low sums.

Of course if you want to go any higher, the insurers will start to require a particular model or range of models.

Might put it in my bar room and lock my scotch in it. 😃.
    I actually really like the look of it.
    thanks again to all that helped. I still can't believe it's a 100 years old!!

How does this work? This Chubb safe appears to have bolt holes that are straight ahead....... am I missing something ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb.jpg  

Those are not for the actual locking bolts Safeone, there are mating fixed lugs on the back of the doorplate which close into them, often have socket screws for adjustment to take up play in the door when locked. The locking bolts shoot out into the continuous vertical gap that's visible behind them.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 17-02-17 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Safeone View Post
    How does this work? This Chubb safe appears to have bolt holes that are straight ahead....... am I missing something ?
    These recesses will have corresponding pins attached to the rear of the door which when closed will help prevent the door from being wedged.

Thread Information