Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I've seen the first two images in the book Lure of the Lock (Holmes wrote that section), but I don't know where they were installed. The other two are interesting but are new to me.
    Here is the Holmes article, 'Bank Vault Construction and Equipment' from The Lure Of The Lock (1928) for reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Here is the Cleveland Fed door being machined, as well as its vestibule (frame). It looks like the same machine is being used which means the taper should be well matched. I once found a patent for a machine that would rotate a vault door back and forth in its vestibule to achieve a "lapped" finish between the two but the description here is of a hand fit and finish.

Attachment 16988

And this is even a remote combination viewer installation!

Attachment 16989
    Here is the Cleveland Federal Reserve brochure (1923) for reference:

Pointed this out over on the 'Offset combination locks' thread as that ones also been taken over by the 'remote viewer' discussion, but since it relates directly to this thread I'll mention it again here...

Worth noting the universal couplings visible in the viewer unit photo that TJ posted, they're on the vertical shafts driving the combo indicators up to the viewer..

Quote Originally Posted by RiemannHypothesis View Post
    T J,

thanks for your replies. Yeah I guess the gear train is the issue we are looking at when it comes to remote viewers, since for ordinary doors you have a simple spindle and maybe some offset gears. Well it would be nice if somebody could make detailed pics of the interiors of a remote viewer. On the other hand we can take a look at the blue prints from @Vaultdoors . Maybe he can post them here again?

Maik
    The only sketches I have of Remote Combo Viewers are from the US2081316 patent, see attached. I found another patent that shows Remote Combo Viewers but there is no detail; it appears to be a direct drive combo in the US1574295 patent, see attached. If anyone could share blueprints, sketches or pics of Remote Combo Viewers it would be greatly appreciated. It would be interesting to learn why there is such limited information on these devices that represent century old technology...
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 19-02-17 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks Vaultdoors, I really appreciate this brochures. The limitation of information has always bothering me. But I think we have now gathered a high amount of information to build our own remote viewers :) The one I am currently building will not be my last I guess and in the future I would build it much more authentic and realistic than today, yet I am totally happy with my construction so far. Maybe that is because I had to think for myself about the mechanism and I found good and safe solutions for this :) But in the future I think I would rather stick to the originals... Anyways so when do you guys start to build your own remote viewers?

Cheers

Maik

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    The only sketches I have of Remote Combo Viewers are from the US2081316 patent, see attached. I found another patent that shows Remote Combo Viewers but there is no detail; it appears to be a direct drive combo in the US1574295 patent, see attached. If anyone could share blueprints, sketches or pics of Remote Combo Viewers it would be greatly appreciated. It would be interesting to learn why there is such limited information on these devices that represent century old technology...
    CORRECTION - The US1574295 patent does not show Remote Combo Viewers just Remote Combos.

For those folks who have worked on Remote Combination Viewers, have you ever seen Patent Numbers on their interiors? If so, can you please post the patent number(s) - Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by RiemannHypothesis View Post
    Thanks Vaultdoors, I really appreciate this brochures. The limitation of information has always bothering me. But I think we have now gathered a high amount of information to build our own remote viewers :) The one I am currently building will not be my last I guess and in the future I would build it much more authentic and realistic than today, yet I am totally happy with my construction so far. Maybe that is because I had to think for myself about the mechanism and I found good and safe solutions for this :) But in the future I think I would rather stick to the originals... Anyways so when do you guys start to build your own remote viewers?

Cheers

Maik
    I could start building a Remote Combo Viewer as soon as I find enough info about the devices and find someone qualified to build it right. It would be dual custody; I haven't decided on going with a pressure system lug or a lug lock but it doesn't matter at this point because it will not be used in conjunction with a vault door. It would be installed at the entrance to my Bunker and entering the correct combinations and cranking the bolt-throwing hand wheel will trigger an electronic lock to open the door.

I actually DO own a bunker -I would recommend having an inward opening door which will allow you to exit when rubble and stuff could otherwise obstruct it's opening.

I could start building a Remote Combo Viewer as soon as I find enough info about the devices and find someone qualified to build it right. It would be dual custody; I haven't decided on going with a pressure system lug or a lug lock but it doesn't matter at this point because it will not be used in conjunction with a vault door. It would be installed at the entrance to my Bunker and entering the correct combinations and cranking the bolt-throwing hand wheel will trigger an electronic lock to open the door.
    Well I do understand the engineering and the mechanics of remote combination viewers (finally) and I also could build you one. Only the distance would be an obstacle, but maybe when shipped in smaller parts the costs are not too high. Just let me know.

Cheers

Maik

Thread Information