Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Default Parma Antonio & Figli, Milan

I found a "new" vault door in an article about Parma Antonio & Figli in Milan, Italy (http://www.parmasicurezza.it/ and http://translate.google.com/translat...t/&prev=search for English). I discovered this via an article in Monocle magazine (http://monocle.com, http://monocle.com/magazine/issues/50/a-silver-lining/) but you either have to buy the article or subscribe to read it. At least the images can be viewed. I assume this is the same Parma we have discussed in the past. The most interesting images deal with a large round door that probably dates to the early 20th century:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parma Antonio & Figli 1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	13062 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parma Antonio & Figli 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	13063

Some interesting points:

The door incorporates two thin copper bands, reminiscent of Mosler Donsteel doors. This means one must be careful when tempted to ID a door as Mosler merely via copper bands, though I haven't found a Mosler with this pattern of two thin bands.

The glass panels are laid out in a pattern that looks just like Remington and Sherman doors.

The pressure-bar handwheel has etched lettering in the same style as Mosler.

The hinge-side pressure-bar anchor is rather distinctive, an aid in identifying the maker.

In the second image it looks like there is some sort of doorway in the background but with a mirror.

The outer room is rather dismal-looking, metal plates with rivets.

I'm not sure about where this door is. It's described as "Vault at Cariplo Bank" which might be the building where the Cariplo Foundation now resides.

Nice find! I recently discovered a couple combo viewer vaults -

Sun Life Assurance Co. in Montreal:

Name:	Sun Life Assurance Co. Montreal.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	13071

National Commercial Bank & Trust in NY:

Name:	National Commercial Bank and Trust Co. NY.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	642.7 KB 
ID:	13070

Yes it's the same company Parma. Don't know how many they made of these doors but there's another on their website under the 'Tradizione' section. It looks the same type and you can make out the two thin bands on the door in the black and white photo.

I've got a couple more but they look to be of the same one you posted with the grim rivetted sheeting on the walls

Name:	Parma Round door 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	13077 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parma round door 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	13078 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parma round door 3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	13079

Regarding the unusual pressure bars- they apparently went their own route with these and developed systems capable of immense forcing pressure. They were the first to achieve a certain level of door pressure but how much it was escapes me now- the Banco Chiavari door they made in 1929 is extremely impressive.

Name:	Parma Banco di Chiavari.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	13080
    Never seen one of their vaults but their freestanding safes are very distinctive designs and we saw loads in jewellers shops and windows when on holiday in Italy in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    National Commercial Bank & Trust in NY:

Name:	National Commercial Bank and Trust Co. NY.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	642.7 KB 
ID:	13070
    Notice the impression of the handwheel in the wall. They need a doorstop! (Topic of discussion in another thread).

Do you have an address/location for any of these buildings (other than MN Fed at 510 Marquette, Minneapolis)?

There are several locations for the Sun Life Assurance Co. in Montreal but I'm not which one houses that vault.

The National Commercial Bank & Trust is in downtown Albany. Its name changed to Key Bank at one point and it is now Sixty State Place: http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/ne...-downtown.html

I believe the Sun Life Montreal building is at 1155 Rue Metcalfe (http://www.emporis.com/buildings/112...ontreal-canada). The stated weight of 427 tons must include the entire vault, not just the door and frame.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    In the second image it looks like there is some sort of doorway in the background but with a mirror.
    A second doorway on the opposite side shows in another image. In some cases bank vaults were built with an inspection space on all sides which would allow visual detection of physical attacks, with mirrors placed so all sides could be seen at once. I expect these "doors" are actually windows to allow such inspections.

Sun Life appears to have a Bandit Barrier/Patrol Space on the right. Others with this feature include Essex County, Guaranty Trust, One King West, PA Treasury, Commerce Court and probably many others.

Name:	Sun Life Assurance Co. Montreal.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	13090

Does anyone know what this 'paddle' is on the inside of the vault door?

Name:	Paddle.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	13094
    Watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K01e_0DOjws

Here's a nice (and large) image of the Banco Cariplo door, which was posted earlier but as a tiny image:

Name:	Parma Antonio & Figli 4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	425.0 KB 
ID:	13132

Thread Information