Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Forum Dynamics

Default Forum Dynamics

This thread is inspired by Gavin's thread: http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...b-Padlock-Help, which has brought out into the open one aspect of forum dynamics.

Brian, Thanks for giving me your expertise regarding the padlock..As I said at the start I have no idea about padlocks and looking for some help which you have been good enough to do.
    However,I would just like to say I find certain people's comments quite arrogant and condescending and take great pleasure in thinking they know it all,there's away of saying things!!!

Gavin - I'm glad you are finding the information useful, and over time I'm sure others will add to your thread with interesting snippets. Many members are busy professionals in all sorts of fields and sometimes only logging in perhaps once a week. Hurried posts might contain the information but sometimes might also appear undiplomatic or blunt as you observe, even though that information is correct and comes from a wealth of knowledge. And I can assure you that its not intended even though it comes over that way.

If we were all having these discussions in a room face to face there would certainly be a different dynamic, a different ambiance and its a problem whenever the person or personal is removed from the situation. One way that I have found that considerably helps in forums is to reintroduce the face to face interaction and encourage the use of real names as you have done and even better to upload an avatar that shows your face. You can see here those that do it and it does reflect in a more considered discussion. Probably, and particularly in the field of locks, keys and security its reassuring to know and see the person you are speaking to.

For members here the use of avatars/real names is optional, but all members of The Team, moderators etc. real names and a portrait type avatar is always used and their user title is also shown to indicate their position in the scheme of things.

Anyway Gavin hope this helps both you and others, and also enlightens a bit of the dynamic of this kind of meeting place...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Gavin - I'm glad you are finding the information useful, and over time I'm sure others will add to your thread with interesting snippets. Many members are busy professionals in all sorts of fields and sometimes only logging in perhaps once a week. Hurried posts might contain the information but sometimes might also appear undiplomatic or blunt as you observe, even though that information is correct and comes from a wealth of knowledge. And I can assure you that its not intended even though it comes over that way.

If we were all having these discussions in a room face to face there would certainly be a different dynamic, a different ambiance and its a problem whenever the person or personal is removed from the situation. One way that I have found that considerably helps in forums is to reintroduce the face to face interaction and encourage the use of real names as you have done and even better to upload an avatar that shows your face. You can see here those that do it and it does reflect in a more considered discussion. Probably, and particularly in the field of locks, keys and security its reassuring to know and see the person you are speaking to.

For members here the use of avatars/real names is optional, but all members of The Team, moderators etc. real names and a portrait type avatar is always used and their user title is also shown to indicate their position in the scheme of things.

Anyway Gavin hope this helps both you and others, and also enlightens a bit of the dynamic of this kind of meeting place...
    I do agree that real names and photographs help everyone in so many ways.
    I happen to know who Oldlock is and also that he may reasonably be described as a world class expert on antique Chubb locks.
    Given this information, I imagine It is difficult for him not to sound like a know it all, when he does!
    I was personally interested to see another example of what an old brass lock looks like when it has been opened up, but I understand it must be disappointing for the proud owner.

Thread Information