Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Odd Type of Lock? An Interesting Piece of Hardware...

Found this in another forum. I'm sure you will know it is combination dial lock. The dots look like they represent number or sequences. The four leaf clover on the knob might be a clue too. The dials move and the post does move up and down thought the channel cut through the bottom outer cylinder. Just wonder if anyone has name of lock or company....Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Odd type of lock an interesting piece of hardware 1.jpg   Odd type of lock an interesting piece of hardware 2.jpg   Odd type of lock an interesting piece of hardware 3.jpg   Odd type of lock an interesting piece of hardware 4.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Timothy there should be a prize for posting the oddest locks
    To me it undoubtedly looks a homemade fantasy piece as there are many tell-tale signs but it's interesting and sure is unusual! have to admit I really like it, looks like it belongs on a thousand year old granite safe holding the secrets to other worldly things...

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Timothy there should be a prize for posting the oddest locks
    To me it undoubtedly looks a homemade fantasy piece as there are many tell-tale signs but it's interesting and sure is unusual! have to admit I really like it, looks like it belongs on a thousand year old granite safe holding the secrets to other worldly things...
    I could easily be wrong here, but I believe that I have seen one before and it may be a lock-out control perhaps for changing railway points.

Not seen anything like it myself, but it does not look home-made. At least the underneath part looks industrial. Suggest it is some sort of control mechanism rather than a lock in the usual sense.
    On top, makes me wonder whether it was made (or altered) for a user who was illiterate, such a colonial native worker? Some sort of machinery to be set in any of a limited number of states?

Thread Information