Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chubb Padlock Help

Hi.I have this old brass padlock and Was wondering if anyone can tell me how old it is and what would it have been used for...My first thought was a lock for a Railway carriage but to be honest I am not sure.What would be the value of something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1967.jpg  

Hi Gavin, and welcome to our world. The serial number in the Registers resolves to 7th September 1903. I'm sure members will be able to tell you more, but do advise the exact sizes and if possible its weight.

Default Hi Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Hi Gavin, and welcome to our world. The serial number in the Registers resolves to 7th September 1903. I'm sure members will be able to tell you more, but do advise the exact sizes and if possible its weight.

Hi Brian .Its just short of 15cm and weighs 3.4kg

Hi.I know nothing about padlocks and would like to ask the members to enlighten me about the padlock that I have.
    Its just short of 15cm and weighs 3.4kg.It has the original Key.
    I was looking for an evaluation if possible.

Collector value is very low as it has been taken apart - note the condition of the rivets.

Perfect examples in the past have made reasonable amounts (especially in the US) but padlock collectors want clean examples.

It's 114 years old.Im not sure it has been taking apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    It's 114 years old.Im not sure it has been taking apart.
    Yes it has. The condition of the rivets make that clear.

That lock is I believe Chubb's largest of its type at the time. Can you accurately measure the width across the body, which is how the manufactures size them. The smallest at the time was just 3/4"! I don't think its a detector version, unless there is something on the key that would indicate otherwise, so not top of the range but still very nice if it were in better condition, plus in your example the sliding keyhole cover is missing which is usually the first thing to go in a hard working padlock.

Second quality locks (which generally lacked the detector) were generally pipe keys too.

Hi Brian.Thanks for giving me your expertise regarding the padlock .As I said at the start I have no idea about padlocks and looking for some help which you have been good enough to do.

Brian...it measures 10cms across,hope this helps.Do you think my guess of Railway carriage lock might be close as my great grand parents worked in the steel industry?

Edited by New topic started Forum Dynamics to explore Gavin's observations.

Brian, Thanks for giving me your expertise regarding the padlock..As I said at the start I have no idea about padlocks and looking for some help which you have been good enough to do.
    However,I would just like to say I find certain people's comments quite arrogant and condescending and take great pleasure in thinking they know it all,there's away of saying things!!!

Thread Information