Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The size of the padlock certainly suggests a heavy duty application although the railway companies invariably stamped their initials or logo onto everything to help prevent pilferage etc. Having said that it might have been selected for some associated aspect. The lock though in this case was not designed specifically for railway use. I'm sure someone will add a Chubb catalogue page to this thread at some point.

Here is a similar, large Chubb padlock. The serial number is no longer visible and the key is missing, but it is Victorian, and is five and three-quarters inches long, with a barrel and curtain, and detector. Unfortunately, it has been opened at some point, possibly to make a replacement key, and so is of little value, apart from to see what is inside. The 'artist' that was let loose on it removed the detector lever, probably to prevent it causing problems in the future. The usual ways to deactivate the detector would include removing the detector spring, bending it out of the way, or removing the pointed part of the detector lever that is caught by the spring. In each case, the lever would remain in place. Removing the detector lever risks allowing the remaining five levers to drift upwards, and out of alignment with their corresponding steps on the replacement key. However, many padlocks of this type, which have been opened to make a key, have had their lever gates opened up to such an extent that the new key looks little more complicated than a blank key. In these cases, lever alignment is probably not so important! The six tines of the lever comb spring, and the bolt stump protruding above the top lever are additional evidence of a missing lever. Compared with the heavy steel shackle, of 13/16" diameter, the rest of the padlock appears lightweight.
    As an aside, here is a picture of a Chubb's Second Quality padlock. It has four levers, but no detector. It was locked and without a key, when I bought it. Trying the easy options first, I found that one of the Squire range of pipe padlock keys was an almost perfect replacement key.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3698-800.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	16895 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3700-800.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	16896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3702-800.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	16897 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3703-800.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	417.2 KB 
ID:	16898

The OP might like to offer it on eBay — it might still sell for a price that would repay offering it, if it were clear the seller would ship to USA (estimate the postage to USA). US collector are particularly fond of padlocks and they do have many Chubb padlocks there. That large, clear, photo shows the lock fairly.

Just incidentally, I too know Oldlock personally (he could speak for himself) and he is a friendly and helpful person of enormous experience and knowledge, but for members here with sensitive jobs in the security world and maybe not proficient typists, and coming to the forum only infrequently, sometimes we write more briefly than we might reply orally.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    The OP might like to offer it on eBay — it might still sell for a price that would repay offering it, if it were clear the seller would ship to USA (estimate the postage to USA). US collector are particularly fond of padlocks and they do have many Chubb padlocks there. That large, clear, photo shows the lock fairly.

Just incidentally, I too know Oldlock personally (he could speak for himself) and he is a friendly and helpful person of enormous experience and knowledge, but for members here with sensitive jobs in the security world and maybe not proficient typists, and coming to the forum only infrequently, sometimes we write more briefly than we might reply orally.

Thanks for your help.I wouldn't have a clue to how much it's worth and would welcome anybody's input.The dimensions are 15cm and 10cm and weighs 3.4kg.

The height is almost 6 inches, The padlock about 2KG . No key.

The front/upper side of the lock,where the first word on top reads: "BY APPOINTMENT TO H.M.THE.KING"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ssss.jpg   ssss2.jpg   ssss3.jpg  

I have noticed that other brass padlocks have rivets on them as well and are selling for £125,all be it that they are in better condition.I thought it would be better that it was left the way it is rather than clean it....Should I clean it???

Thread Information