Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unknown safe manufacturer

I aquired a safe recently and the previous owner thought it to be a Cary safe, but I do not think so. I am in the process of restoration and want it to be as close to possible as original. Different finials, interior locks, and colors are not essential. But I would like to know the maker, age, and purpose (burglary, fire. etc.).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0107171720a-01.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	16784 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0108171108-01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	16785 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0111171641-01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	16786 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0111171645-01.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	16787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0111171646-01.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	16788

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to any and all responses.

There you go chipdom.

Pictures and documents are essential for a site like this, but its also the most challenging for many - not surprising since every system, every platform seems to have different parameters. I would like to reiterate that if you do experience picture problems (or any other problem for that matter) do send them to me (contact details in the header of every page) and I will be more than happy to add them for you.

I think I need to rewrite parts of the thread relating to pictures, but until I get to it here are some pointers.

Crop pictures to remove any necessary background, foreground etc. whilst still ensuring the complete subject is included.

Resize pictures to about 800 pixels wide.

If your upload fails when processing multiple images at once try uploading one at a time.

PS - I will move this post in a day or two to the Uploading pictures thread.

Default Cast iron safe mfg.

Syracuse safe company.

DH

I have been searching the internet and have seen similar looking Syracuse safes but the casters are different. I have seen similar looking Shwab safes with the same casters. Is it possible that this is a Schwab?

Default Syracuse vers. Schwab

Yes it's possible, they look very similar in their handle, hinges, and body shapes. They both also used the Yale OBB and OC3 locks.

In my experience Syracuse used a caster with a higher end ridge than Schwab. Most of the time the caster ridge is smaller on the Schwab, but I've seen some exceptions to that rule.

The attaches pics are of 2 safes in my data base that are filed under Syracuse. The casters are an exact match to yours. Have you seen a Schwab marked safe with these exact casters?

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   1.jpg  

Default Schwab safe

attachmentphp?attachmentid3553&ampd1284123670Looks very much like the safe I aquired. but so does yours. Did these two companies get parts from same suppliers?

Default syracuse safe

Taking a second look I think you are correct on the height of the ridges. Thank You

Default Mfg identification solved

This safe was identified by Andy of 'security safe usa' as a Schwab due to the door bolt locking system.
    He also had photos of Schwab safes with the high ridge casters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwab front view (1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	978.3 KB 
ID:	16985 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwab.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	16986

Default Syracuse vers. Schwab

Sounds like your convinced.

The more research I do on antique cast iron safes the less I known about them!

DH

Default Safe Identification

I am never 100% convinced of anything. I dont believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. That being said,I am a novice at this and yearn for information. Doing many internet searches, I phone called precision lock out of Queens, NY. to find out the Mfg. because they had recently sold a similar safe. They informed me to contact Andy Andreasen as in their opinon he is the best in the business of antique safes. Andy had me send photos of every part of the safe before he would identify it. He also sent me photos to match the parts of my safe. It seems resonable I can now put Schwab Mfg decals on and feel confident.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 13-02-17 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Removal of company link

Thread Information