Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Safe ID Help!

Default Safe ID Help!

Hello everyone!

Writing to you from VA, USA! I work for a small family business and we are hoping to get some more information about a pretty large safe in our store! Our building is about 300 years old....no idea how long the safe has been here! It is extremely heavy...I've attached some pictures and I hope you all can help me shed some light on any aspect of this safe! It's about 5 ft tall and 3 ft wide. I've looked all over the parts of the safe I can reach and haven't found much information. What I have found, I've added a picture of it. Let me know if you'd like a closer picture of anything else!

(Also, if anyone in the area may be interested in taking it..let me know! We are a retail store so we basically just put product and shelving around it. Although a very cool piece, it makes it difficult for rearranging!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unnamed-6.jpg   unnamed-5.jpg   unnamed-4.jpg   unnamed-2.jpg   unnamed-1.jpg  

unnamed-8.jpg   IMG_0260-min.JPG  

That will be a challenging restoration job, obviously over painted but could look nice restored especially with that molded decorative beading...

Looks like someone spent an unnecessary amount of time badly jury-rigging an old Yale rim-latch in place of the inner door lock!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    Looks like someone spent an unnecessary amount of time badly jury-rigging an old Yale rim-latch in place of the inner door lock!
    That's an early model of the Yale 042 rim deadlatch, likely 1930s vintage. A similar model 80 springlatch is still made today.

Pete Schifferli

A real shame it's in such poor overall condition, lots of the ornate cast moulding missing from the top half.
    I was going to mention how if you're serious about restoration, you could replicate the missing sections, as I imagine they'd be pretty hard to get hold of.

But, reading your last paragraph seems you would be better off just getting someone local interested to buy it and take it away. A major undertaking as Brian said it would be an attractive safe if done though.

Thread Information