Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Safe ID Help

Hi all,
    I'm kind of an all around hoarder and safes seem to be no exception.
    I bought this safe locally, which has been opened by someone who destroyed the dial and ring. I have no pictures of what they might have looked like. I am trying to identify it. Features of note: 3 hinges, About 1000lbs, thick door, exposed bolt work with "japanned?" finish on the locking bars. Lock was a Yale. My guess is Probably OB. Painted over. No obvious markings, guessing pre 1900. Hoping to determine the correct dial and locate some artwork to pattern off of.

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00A0A_3B1bo5lCnNY_1200x900.jpg   00n0n_3CgcGX9HV6Y_1200x900.jpg   00h0h_kFID69ZufsI_1200x900.jpg   01010_4D138SFWwcN_1200x900e.jpg   00303_dBpxn6m1AWy_1200x900.jpg  

Default National Safe Company

Not many US cast iron safes have the handle located below the dial and on the same vertical plane. National was one of them. My guess a very early National Safe.

DH

[QUOTE=David Hovey;25410]Not many US cast iron safes have the handle located below the dial and on the same vertical plane. National was one of them. My guess a very early National Safe.

I leaning that way as well as well after much google image research. I figured it had to be pretty early to be susceptible to such a crude punch attack. The only things that make me question it, is it lacks that distinctive "ice chest" handle on the LH of the door, and the Japanned flash copper finish on the exposed boltwork. The only pics I have found of exposed boltwork Nationals had plated and elaborately etched designs in them like Matt's. What other period makers had models with the handle below the dial?

Thank you for your help!!!!!!

What other period makers had models with the handle below the dial?

The only thing that comes to mind is the original Protectall, Mosler Protectall's, and HHM/York/Diebold record safes.

I know this is no help to you.

Now that I'm thinking, off the top of my head, I don't know any other US mfg. of cast iron safes that have.

DH

So, I ended up getting it.
    Here is my flicker folder that will chronicle the restoration.
    I'm hung up now on finding a dial and ring. Hopefully I will have some luck this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-11.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	16817 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-12.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	16818 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-13.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	16819 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-14.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	16820 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-15.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	16821 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-16.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	16822 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-17.jpg 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	16823 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-18.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	16824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-19.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	16825 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-20.jpg 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	16826 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-21.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	16827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-22.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	16828 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-23.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	16829

Default Yale OBB

Nice work on the fire tube repair. I see you have an original Yale lock. How long of a dial spindle do you need.

DH

The original one would have been in the neighborhood of 7-7.5" long, but I'm not picky. As long as it isn't smashed I can couple even a stub length one to what's left of the original. It looks like a 5/16-40 spindle. The fire tube is some wacky thread. Like .775" X 14 tpi????? Probably have to make a nut from scratch.

The thing that intrigues me about the safe is that it has "Banker's Style" boltwork, but seems to be really only a fire safe. The front of the door is just sheet metal and the inside of the door is maybe 10ga separated by about 6" of plaster mixed with what looks to be asbestos. I think it would look really classy painted up nice. I can handle stripping it down and painting it black. I have found some artwork online and hope to find a local sign guy that could do the lettering and striping. I see there are stickers on ebay, but unless they are the waterslide type I think they would look tacky. I'm thinking a variation on the theme of this door:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails national 2.jpg   national 1.jpg  

Thread Information